NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using the improved clinch for most of my fly/lure ties with a high failure rate. been looking for a new {easy to tie} knot to use. Been using a surgeons to join leader sections. Problem with the surgeons is it sticks out like a sore thumb on a leader. The Albright is not an easy tie for me.Not ready to use the store bought leaders I've been hording yet, and I'll still need to add sections. The clinch and surgeons are easy for me to tie but I need to do better. Have thought about using the Blood for leader building, but one reference suggest 10 wraps per side, while a U-tube showed only four are needed. I generally use no bigger than 15 lb test., and use a lob of braid with my spinner rod. For fly/lure attachment thinking about the Davey or Duncan. Anyone use these knots or have another that's easy to tie. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I mostly use an Albright to tie my mono leaders to braid. I've had good luck with this knot so far. I can tie a uni to uni, but the Albright is easier for my arthritic hands.
Mike, you may want to learn to tie loop knots on your flies, and other lures with no split rings. Hope your knee is healing well.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Mike, forgot to say you may want to do a search for knots. There has been a lot of discussions about this. Youtube can also be your friend. Can't think of the name of the loop knot I use for flies, but the next time we get to fish together, I'll show you how I tie mine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I started seriously competitively bass fishing over a year ago. The first things I did was learn knots.... All of them. I've settled on the following:

Braid to Mono/Fluro Leader: Alberto Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M
The alberto knot can be very tricky to tie but with practice it becomes second to none.

Braid to hook/lure: Polamar Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k
Super easy knot!!! And the only knot you should ever use with braid.... PERIOD!

Mono to hook/lure: 6 Turn San Diego Jam Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJDsx8-K52E
You may use the polamar knot here but the san diego jam has a higher breaking point. Trust me with this... I've tested the san diego and palomar on mono and the san diego wins.

As a bass angler these are the only knots I need.

My tips for knot tying

1. Lubricate mono/fluoro - yeah, be generous and spit heavy on it...If you don't wet it heavily you'll burn the mono/flouro. Braid doesn't burn so no worries there.
  2. Don't Overlap anything - This probably sounds weird because thats what a knot is... overlapping of line. But basically I am talking about not double wrapping the line over itself when making turns.
  3. Practice - Get a big ol hook, cut the tip off (so you won't injure yourself) and sit around at night watching TV practicing your knot. I did this in the beginning and now I can pretty much tie the knot's I've mentioned with my eyes closed.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hit the nail on the head

I started seriously competitively bass fishing over a year ago. The first things I did was learn knots.... All of them. I've settled on the following:

Braid to Mono/Fluro Leader: Alberto Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M
The alberto knot can be very tricky to tie but with practice it becomes second to none.

Braid to hook/lure: Polamar Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k
Super easy knot!!! And the only knot you should ever use with braid.... PERIOD!

Mono to hook/lure: 6 Turn San Diego Jam Knot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJDsx8-K52E
You may use the polamar knot here but the san diego jam has a higher breaking point. Trust me with this... I've tested the san diego and palomar on mono and the san diego wins.

As a bass angler these are the only knots I need.

My tips for knot tying

1. Lubricate mono/fluoro - yeah, be generous and spit heavy on it... (All sorts of sexual references here... but you get the point, wet it!) If you don't wet it heavily you'll burn the mono/flouro. Braid doesn't burn so no worries there.
  2. Don't Overlap anything - This probably sounds weird because thats what a knot is... overlapping of line. But basically I am talking about not double wrapping the line over itself when making turns.
  3. Practice - Get a big ol hook, cut the tip off (so you won't injure yourself) and sit around at night watching TV practicing your knot. I did this in the beginning and now I can pretty much tie the knot's I've mentioned with my eyes closed.

I hope this helps you.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I have been using an improved clinch knot since I was 12 years old. I'm 42. I've never had a complaint. If my line breaks at the knot (which is very rare) I blame user error.

After the suggestion from Doc_Love, for braid to leader I tie a double uni-knot, and so far I've been satisfied.

That all being said, for terminal tackle I have seen enough pro's tying what appears to be the San Diego Jam knot, that I'm willing to give it a go, but have (k)not used it yet.

Maybe I'm "old school" but that school has taught me that, among other things, new is not always better and as Neil said I figure if it's not broken.... well...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
For fly fishing...I have stayed with a standard clinch knot and with 6 or 7 turns for 5x and 6x tippet; lubricating it and tightening by holding the tag end stationary and pulling the leader to tighten...it works well for me. The Surgeons or Triple Surgeons is also pretty standard for joining tippet to tippet i.e. smaller diameter mono and flouro. If joining larger diameter sections of leader together, I prefer the blood knot. There is a variation on the blood which seems a little quicker to tie...seems like it may be called a speed blood knot.... I often use a non-slip loop knot for some flies and situations.

I'd go on and use the store bought leaders for fly fishing. Cortland 333s are only about $3 each...Fairplays are even cheaper. If you are concientious about replacing the tippet section before the diameters of the leader section vary too much...you can get a lot of "miles" out of one leader. A Surgeons or Triple Surgeons is pretty small when it's tied in 4lb tippet material.

Knots are alwasy interesting. I believe I posted a link a few weeks ago in the Fly Fishing section...and article that had some good data and guidance on knots.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I've tied the palomar knot, and it is fairly easy to tie. but if I am using a large lure I'll sometimes lose my knot, and have to redo it. Since my arthritis is getting worse, it can be even more difficult to tie. I can tie an albright knot fairly well, and the alberto is somewhat like it. From the video I just saw on the alberto knot, I picked up some tips that will make tying it, the alberto, and the albright much easier. I like the sandiego also, and will be using that one instead of the palomar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.