NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dangerous thread to start, but here's to living dangerously.
What is the best knot for line to hook/lure connections?
What is the best knot for a leader?

I have used the Palomar for years in freshwater and have personally witnessed MANY broken hook shanks where the knot should have broken - I am fully convinced that it is stronger than the line, if you do that little tighten up with saliva before you slide it down thing.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The Palomar is a great knot & easy to tie, I use it some too, especially when tying directly to braid. The other knot that is rated just as high or higher for retaining line strength in several independant lab tests is the Trilene knot, I use it a lot too. For pretied (hard to do this one in bobbing boat) connections to hooks you can't beat the snell - lab test show it retains 100% of the line strength.

I like the uni to uni (double uni) for tying similar diameter lines together - I use it mostly for tying flurocarbon leader to braid. It has a small profile thus allowing the knot to go through the tippet and guides but it is very strong - I've never had one fail. For lines of different sizes I use the surgeons knot.

Here's a link to a good knot tying site:
Fishing Knots

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.