NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also called Onslow Bay but as flat as it was this morning you would have thought it was a lake or something. The weather man called for 3-4 footers with 10K winds but I left the inlet at 6:30 and was met by 2 footers (and that's a stretch) that were on about 10 second intervals - in other words - very calm. It stayed that way till noon except for periods of NO wind when the ocean would shine like a mirror. After noon the wind did pick up a bit to about 10 knots but still was nice. Anyway - enough on the weather.

I wasn't sure if I was going today until last night so I wasn't able to get a crew on short notice. So I decided to work some of the near shore ledges by myself. I caught a zillion black bass all but about 20 of them under the 12" limit. I keep the 6 biggest, all over 14". I also caught 4 keeper flounder and a few smaller ones. Of course I caught a bunch of small/medium size sharks and a truck load of ringtails, lizard fish and other nuisance creatures. Not a bad day for the middle of the "dog days of summer". Fall fishing is right around the corner!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make this trip with you Mike but glad you caught some fish. I have a freezer full of ducks, swans and turkeys to get done before deer season kicks in. The largemouth bass are still coming in in good numbers. Maybe I can make the next trip.
Gery

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Thanks for the number! I'm betting it a nice ledge judging from its general location. Next time I'm down by the Gill, I'll give it a try.
I think you'll be suprised. I will tell you, it's definately NOT a ledge. Looks like a wreck on sonar, but it's not on any charts and of course I put you in the "general" area, but really close, look around in less than a 1/8th mile radius from that spot and you cant miss it! ;) If you make the run to it,, I believe it will be worth your time.. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
[B said:
THU[/b]...NE WINDS AROUND 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT. [/size][/font]
you can't beat that this time of year!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
what time y'all thinkin of headin out Mike?

With the kids back in school, I do the bus thing with the oldest and drop the little guy off at day care in the a.m.'s.. after that I'm free, but wouldnt be able to be on the road your way until sometime after 8:30 a.m

Saturday,, no issues.. I can be there at midnight Friday! ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what time y'all thinkin of headin out Mike?

With the kids back in school, I do the bus thing with the oldest and drop the little guy off at day care in the a.m.'s.. after that I'm free, but wouldnt be able to be on the road your way until sometime after 8:30 a.m

Saturday,, no issues.. I can be there at midnight Friday! ;)
We need to head out early on Thursday as I have some work to do in the afternoon. I'm still undecided about this Saturday because it's my fishing club tournament day, normally that means slow trolling for Kings. I may pass this month as the Kings are all 25 plus miles out - I love kings but if I go that far out I want grouper, snapper, mahi, etc! Wife wants to go camping this week-end too.

Hey PM me with your work/play schedule for the next few weeks - I'd love to match up a time for us to fish.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok.

Looks like the weather forecast has gone "SOUTH" overnight....... Thursday's forecast was for 2-3 footers with 10kt winds, now it is 3-5 with 15kt and gusts to 20kt. I fthat holds up, guess we will be staying on the hill after all :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.