NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Friday off and decided I want to give Lake Benson a go (been staring at on a map for awhile).

Friday - Got to the gate right at noon and decided just to rent a canoe for a few hours and scope out the lake. I really like the way this lake lays out. I fished for 3 hours and caught 8 bass, all cookie cutters in the 14-15 inch range. (3) on bluegill colored spinnerbait and (5) on brush hog. Total overcast cloud cover and spot rains the whole time. Sun comes out, wind dies and did not get another bite. Definitely coming back in the morning.

Saturday - at the gate at 6am (got their early to make sure I got a boat). Good thing because that place fills up fast. On the water at 7am. Catch. (1) On buzzbait , (1) on spinnerbait , (1) on brush hog (all within first 3 hours).... Bite dies and then right around noon I catch this bruiser (pictured) on a purple Kreature bait. Just around 6 lbs. Hook broke off in his jaw just as I lipped him , did manage to get it out but that was crazy. Huge mouth , strong jaw (the hook is still in his jaw in the pic )......... I'm having one heck of a first spring fishing Carolina........... Love it here..........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lake Benson is one of the closest lakes to my house to fish, but I've never been on it. I typically shy away from crowds, rental/launch fees, and mandatory use of other's boats. There are plenty of great places to fish where I don't have to suffer from these things. Having said that, nice fish!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lake Benson is one of the closest lakes to my house to fish, but I've never been on it. I typically shy away from crowds, rental/launch fees, and mandatory use of other's boats. There are plenty of great places to fish where I don't have to suffer from these things. Having said that, nice fish!
I do definitely agree with you...... I bank fish as much as possible, but need to get in a boat/canoe every now and then as I go crazy staring at those awesome spots from across the bank........... I will be ordering a Jackson Big Rig at the end of this month so will have my own rig soon, then will probably never see Benson again :) ...... Enjoyed fishing there though........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts