NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a new project in RTP last week. Using Google Earth, I discovered Lake Crabtree was not far away. I was able to sneak out at lunch today and scope it out. I pulled out a couple of spinning outfits and tried a few different hard baits (x-rap, rattle trap, and a topwater popper) with no luck. On a whim, I tied on my favorite saltwater softbait. That's right, a saltwater assassin paddletail electric chicken. Caught 3 LM bass 1 to 3 lbs each.

Lake Crabtree is a great park on a small lake. Nice boat ramps $3 for a trailered boats (electric motors only) $2 for yaks and canoes (honor system). Loads of fish! (I'll eloborate in "fish tales" along with a few questions.) Downside is the lake is also full of PCBs. It's strictly C&R fishing!

It was great to catch some fish and on a workday too! Looks like a pack of nabs and a coke for lunch from now on!:p

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
How long ya gonna be in RTP? I hear an offsite lunch jumping onto the schedule....
Lefty

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably be working in RTP (on Wednesdays, Thursday and some Fridays) until July. Then it'll be full time for 8 to 10 months.

I ran out there today (raining cats and dogs), swung by McD's to grab a burger on the way. I got to the lake, finished my fries, put on my raincoat and casted for 40 minutes and made it back to the office with 5 minutes left in 1 hour lunch. I didn't catch anything, but it was better than sitting in the office. I think it's gonna be a ritual. Let me know if you wanna join in.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still Lunching at the Lake

It looks like I'll be working in the Park almost full-time now. I've been making it to the lake a couple days a weeks.

It was good to meet you out there Kevin. I've been out a few times since then. The time after I met you there a 12 year kid taught me how to catch fish there:rolleyes: . I've switched over to small crappie jig w/ little mr. twister type grubs. It's always good for a couple crappie and bream. I've even caught a couple small LM bass and (here comes the fishing story) lost a nice one at the bank, when I realized my drag was tight as tick :eek: . I heard the tell-tale twang of the snapping line that confirmed it. I did get to see him though and he was probably 3-4 lbs, nice fish.

I tried out a floating/diving jointed rapala last time out and got BIG hit on the second cast. That was the biggest fish I've seen out there so far. It was also the first fish I've had to hit a topwater lure in 10-12 years. It scared the crap outta me :eek: and I completly forgot to get a good hookset. I just started cranking! He jumped once and then did a little head-shaking tailwalking and threw the lure back at me. I'll be ready for him next time. I really didn't expect it when it happened. I guess I have to learn to expect to catch fish when I'm fishing.

I'm in Sanford today...lunch sucked!:D

I've started toting the camera. I'll post any worthwhile pictures.

P.S. - And I've been staying away from the snakey rocks!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Alberto visits Lake Crabtree

Hey PH, ya might need to bring the high boots for today's lunch outing. When I drove the Aviation Pkwy bridge over Crabtree this morning, it looked like the water was within inches of the roadway. Of course, that's kinda the whole idea of that reservoir -- to protect the revenue from crabtree swamp -- oops I mean mall.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I plan to ride out there at lunch today, but don't anticipate doing any fishing. The yak ramp is probably the lowest part of the park, 1st to flood and the only place I've had any luck fishing.

Most of my catches out there are sunfish and crappie from tiny (almost fry) to decent 1 -1.5 lbers. I alternate between small jigs or beetle spins and an assortment of larger lures for bass. I'd like to try some small topwater stuff for the panfish. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm not ready to take the fly rod leap that Randy's taking. I'll have to stick ultra light spinning outfits and my 13' fiberglass breambuster (MAN! that thing's a hoot with a little jig!).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Find an assortment of flies. Fish the fly with a very small bobber 3' to 4' from the fly. A real blast when the brim are bedding. I also used to use this trout fishing. Some use a small coark. I also have some poppers and top water plugs around 2" long. Hard to beat the trusty jig. Try the crappie assasin plastics and the bass assasins. We had good results with the crappie assasins during crappie season.

·
Registered
205 Posts
parrothead, take the leap to the flyrod, it only hurts your pocketbook for a while. and thanks alot for the "hillbilly" jab:p actually planned to be in cary this weekend, but my brother e- mailed me pictures of the crabtree mall, so we cancelled.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
<chuckle> Wednesday was the best fishing the mall has seen since Hurricane Fran.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Keep an eye out for the equipment on sale. Got a Temple Fork rod on sale(8ft-4wt) at Bass Pro Shops for 49.95(regular 149.95) Still with lifetime warranty, only difference is they changed the reel seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.