NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed up to Lake Gaston to stay at a friends place in Americamps near Bracey VA and was wondering what's going on up that way right now. I'll be borrowing his Stratos Bass boat (a first for me to have a "fancy" boat..LOL) so I am flexible as to species and technique. Cat and Crappie are fine. Stripers ok but I'm not too keen on catch and release this time of year so I may pass on them. I have the gear for most anything just need to know where to go and what to chase day/night....

I would get info from my buddy, but he bought the boat on a "whim" and does more tubing and speeding around than fishing... darn shame.. I'm trying to talk him into a swap + cash but he likes doing 70mph+ on the water and he got the boat for a steal!! Was a tournament boat so it has all the goodies.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I am looking for my old Gaston map. I have a bunch of stuff marked on it and will try to get it to you if I can find it. I will PM you.

My experience on Gaston is pre-fishing for and fishing Red Man Tournaments back in the 80's and 90's. I can tell you that most of my experience was much further down the lake towards the dam from where Ameriacamps is. I fished Pea Creek a lot.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good Livebait. I need all the help I can get!;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
whaddya say we get these answers public? See, we're fishing this weekend at Gaston with my brother in law who thinks that this City Boy from California is a joke fisherman. im wanting to put the joke on him.

any inside tips would be VERY appreciated.......

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got home. No computer up at Gaston so I have ALOT of catching up to do.
Fished Thursday morning 6am by the railroad bridge just off I-85 in 20-25 ft of water. Used UL tackle tossing red wigglers for bait right up against the bridge pilings with a slipbobber set to 5-6 ft. Also using surf rods and 30lb test with live bream with slip sinkers(3oz) on the bottom.Didnt buy minnows the night before so i had to do without. And cut perch also on bottom.
As luck would have it, I caught 3 nice Flatheads 22-26 inches and one Channel cat 18 inches within the 7-8am hour..ON THE ULTRALIGHT!!!! Now that was intense!! 6lb test Stren mono on a "inexpensive" ultralight spinner made for a great game of "run-n-reel"! Wife was quick with the net and very much needed... I had one wrap the anchor on me but got it in anyway.. Caught a bunch of small bream and had no luck with a few various topwaters/crankbaits.
Fished until 12 noon as it was just too hot to bear.... Got up early Friday to hit it again and had starter trouble on my friends boat so I ended up fishing from one of the private docks. Caught 5 nice pansized white cats and threw a dozen more away that were smaller. Tossed back several 2-4lb mudcats and more little bream than I cared to count. Then I had one surf rod out with a small bream under a king float-rig. I was reeling in a pansizer when I actually heard the thing "POP" when it was hit... HARD! I let it run a bit and set the hook and spent the next couple of minutes wondering what kinda' monster I had... He ran hard and fast for the center of the channel pulling drag like a king..LOL! I finally put enough pressure on him to get him too close to the top too far away and he did the prettiest skyrocket I have ever seen!!! It was a very healthy, nice sized Striper... I know he looked 30" long so I figure with fishermen's eyes he was at least a keeper..LOL!! He shot down when he hit the water and spooled me a bit more and turned around... I got him 20ft from the dock and he made 2 circles and did a tail-walk with me trying my best to keep the rod-tip down...then it happened....... A 4/0 Kahle came flying right at me and he was just a story for NCAngler...... of course I would have release him anyway, but I would have liked a good picture to share!!!!!
I can't wait to get my own boat up there and do a serious overnighter or 2 or 3 LOL !!!! It is a nice lake with good water and all of the people at Americamps, Bracey VA and Holly Grove Marina were real nice...We had a good time riding the golf cart around the campground and swimming in the pool...My buddies camper/house/bungalow has a deck and hot-tub as well as a nice grill so it was fine-living..LOL!!! he said I'm welcme to haul some buddies up anytime so I may have to get a trip together in the fall or spring...:)
**I'll post pics as soon as I get them uploaded**

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm trying to talk him into a swap + cash but he likes doing 70mph+ on the water and he got the boat for a steal!! Was a tournament boat so it has all the goodies.
There's a lot to be said for having a friend with a boat...

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got some pics of some of the catch and the view from the cabin... Notice the ultralight...Made it fun for sure. I caught 4 like these in all... I have pics of only 2 because Mrs. Sundrop refused to take any more because I was catching all the fish..LOL!!!:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.