NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Lake Gaston this weekend. I'll be on the lake every day on my bass boat until Monday.

The last time I was on Gaston, I caught nothing. The past few months, I've been pretty busy and what time I had on a lake was also nothing. So, I need fish to take pictures of and toss back into the water.

If you have any tips, please shoot them out. I'll need it!

I'll report back any progress with what's worked, what hasn't worked and of course any pictures.

Help me get better! :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hit it before daylight, gonna be a warm sunny weekend and the water buzzards (jetskis) will be flying. By lunch you will be ready to relax either at the camp or in a nice shady cove somewhere.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went up near the creeks towards the pattern of Kerr. I hooked into a really nice one on a brush pile and lost 2 others in the same area on Saturday.

Sunday, I lost a pretty big one that took a my bait as I was picking something up from the boat after the cast. He darted towards me and swam under the boat before I could set the hook. I could feel him though and his speed and tension felt huge.

Today, let's see what happens. But, my luck has been on a weightless senko that is green and white with black flakes. This is my magic color for this lake and they seem to always hit it. Nothing on the cranks or jig just yet.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I ended up going to Gaston yesterday. My post above brought back some memories of some of the best fishing I had ever had at Gaston last september and I decided to go see if history would repeat itself. I pretty much committed to flipping docks and stumps all day. I focused my efforts on the back 1/3s of the creeks, fished Poplar, Lyons, Six pound and Holly Grove. I probably put 10 in the boat and missed a few. My best 5 probably would have gone around 12 lbs with my biggest around 4.5. I missed a good fish on a frog under a boat lift, never saw it but it looked like someone dropped a boulder on it when he hit it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never really fish the docks when I should. I just get so tired of seeing them and being around a lot of jetskis and ski boats that I never attempt to fish em. However, the biggest fish I pulled out of this lake was 2 years ago under a boat dock on the same weightless senko. Soon as it hit the bottom, a 8 pounder snagged it.

I try to get out deep during the summer, but never have any luck fishing deep. All the fish this week were in 81+ degree water on structure or cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
some of my best days on Gaston this time of yr happen where the ol creek channels intersect with the ol river channel, from Eatons Ferry up stream. they usually relatin to the upstream point of the junction. if ya can find the rite stump, you can load the boat!

·
Registered
44 Posts
some of my best days on Gaston this time of yr happen where the ol creek channels intersect with the ol river channel, from Eatons Ferry up stream. they usually relatin to the upstream point of the junction. if ya can find the rite stump, you can load the boat!
Stumps up on the flats nearby or on the drop? I am fishing this Saturday in the rain and don't know the lake. Hard for me to see running in the rain so I'll prolly go to one general area up the lake and fish all day. Any tips Doc?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Caught a few. Biggest (3+ lbs.) came on top water in the back of coves next to that black snot grass. Others on S/B. Nothing off docks but it was cloudy and rainy all day. Not the best weather for putting them under docks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, as the water cools, the bait will move up the river an the creeks an the bass will follow. Same thing happenin on Kerr rite now. been doin great on crappie, perch an stripers on the upper end, be time to start chasin the LMB an whitebass in the same area very soon! Shallow cranks on rocky points can get ya a 50 bass day then!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
On Gaston in the summer months, I always liked finding me a stump row in 8-10 feet of water and just start dragging a worm through it. Caught many wall hangers up there like that. Peahill creek was one of my go to places.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.