NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With terrible drought conditions around the state, it struck me that this lake's water level is maintained at normal levels for power generation. I spent Thanksgiving with my parents who live on the lake and saw clean water at levels experienced over the years.

Use your favorite search engine to discover this lake is stocked with walleyes annually and the best fishing for them seems to be at the western end around I-85. This is a manageable day trip for those of us who live in the Triangle.

I have always wanted to fish for walleyes and think this is the time to see what's up there. Any other kayakers interested in going after them?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd also like to add that Lake Gaston is a great lake for Stripers and Cats and a nice level of LM Bass as well. Buddy of mine has a nice little place in Americamps near Bracey VA. NC fishing licenses are honored on Gaston as well.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Sounds like a nice way to spend a day. Wish I had the time to go. Maybe in the new year after I spend my two weeks off for Christmas catching up on my honey do list.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Still working on finding a reliable kayak striper fishery here in the triangle and sneaking in some coastal trips, but I'd consider a Gaston walleye trip if we had some reliable reports. (My list of target species that I haven't caught yet yet is long enough - don't need another!).

I can't say I'd ever heard that Gaston had a fishable walleye population. I thought only some of the mountain lakes had them. Any guides, articles or pics around?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the kayak with me to look for good launch sites in the lake's western section. Found two good sites, one in Virginia and another brand new wildlife landing on our side of the border. Put in at the latter and in passing under a bridge spoke to a local fisherman about "eyes" in the area. He had caught several from the bridge recently. This site is only 15 minutes from the Wise exit off I-85. Did manage to catch one decent largemouth in my brief fishing time.

Apparently most emphasis up there is directed toward striper and largemouth fishing but walleyes do exist close the the Triangle.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
True, never really hear of any interest in Wallys here.... Most dont know they exist I'm sure. Glad you found good access!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just curious where this ramp is, and some details on it. Pier? Parking, number of ramps? Can it handle a 20' CC, or more of an aluminum boat ramp?

I know NC Wildlife has three up there, just having a real hard time finding them on the map. Closest that I absolutely know where it is for me would be the one in VA across the bridge by Kerr dam, or maybe the marina at Eaton Ferry road.

I live a little north and east of Wake Forest (on 401) , so Gaston should actually be closer to me than Kerr, but I can get to Kerr by good roads in 45 minutes.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Glad to hear they've put some access in that area! I bet PayJays is glad too!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.