NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips to lend for largemouth on lake gaston. Im taking a buddy of mine for his birthday in april. Any info will be highly accepted anything from bait, how to fish it and areas where there holding at. I do know it really all depends on the weather and the q after clarity but just trying to get some good pointers.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
My understanding is that Gaston keeps a pretty constant water level. I wish I knew more about the actual areas and which creeks are better for what, but hopefully some of the guys who know it will respond. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Depending on when in April and the weather in the spring, they may be on the beds already. I would probably concentrate on the stumps in the backs of the creeks and anywhere there is willow grass.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Usually April is shallow fishin. I usually start in the creeks in the lower 1/3 of the lake, down towards the dam. they seem to turn on before the upstream ones do. I always figured it was the cold water comin in from Buggs dam. Boat docks seem to be the key. If they gettin ready to spawn, they will be crusin away from docks but if they stagin before the spawn, they maybe around the docks. I use spinnin gear to skip plastics under the docks. tryin different weights seems to be key. Charlie Brewer Sliders with the worm super glued to the head, Tubes with a jig head in the body, T-rigged ribbon tails with the sinker pegged have all worked at various times. I've also done well with jerks if the water ain't warmed to 55 yet. a P&J around the stumps an rocky points works well at times. You can cover water an catch some big females on the ol Bomber Speed Shad in silver or gold insert also. and if all else fails try the firetiger 1/8 oz Speed Trap!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Personally from what and how I like to fish, I would throw jerkbaits depending on the depth. I'd find some deeper docks if they are deeper and find riprap banks. Pitching jigs has always produced for me. I'd hit the stumps with some jigs and chatterbaits. Lizard creek in the back you can throw frogs in the grass and mats if they are blooming

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.