NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not a NC lake, but since I trust and value my NCAngler friends' knowledge, I figured I would ask here anyway.

Looks like I'll be fishing at Guntersville October 18-19th. I have never set hull on that lake, and know nothing about it. I don't think it's likely I'll be able to get down there before then, so any tips or suggestions anyone has are welcome.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
It was a hot spot on the pro tours a few years back. A google search and a bunch or hours reading would probably tell you a little. From what I have picked up over the years hearing tidbits here and there about it, you can catch good ones in the grass punching mats and frogging, or catch them offshore on the ledges. I want to say that is where Paul Elias started the alabama rig wild fire and if I am not mistaken it was about the same time of year.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just watched one of the Major League Fishing tournaments online that took place in the Fall in Texas on a lake that sounds vaguely similar to Guntersville. I am trying to soak up bits and pieces as I read whatever I can find; I'll be giving Google a workout over the next few weeks.

Alabama rig, Jim!!! :eek:

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, what a big lake. Will be a different style than anything I've done before.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Northern Ala so gonna be mid/late fall pattern for sure. If it were closer to the coast I would say early fall maybe even late summer but I'm sure the water temps will play a big part in where to look. Wish I had specifics but cant help you there. With the big TN river running right through the middle of it should be pretty interesting to sort out.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I think it will be fun, it's at least something unlike anything I've fished before. I've never really fished thick matted grass like that.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think it will be fun, it's at least something unlike anything I've fished before. I've never really fished thick matted grass like that.
Oakley Big Bass Challenge. First tournament I'll have ever fished that was bigger than 15 boats, on a lake I've never seen that's 3x bigger than anything I've ever fished, fishing a style and technique totally foreign to me (heavy hydrilla and milfoil mats), from a boat that by most bass tournament standards is underpowered and not well-equipped.

Sounds like a challenge to me! :D I know it's probably no big deal to the guys that do a lot of tourneys, but for me this is totally outside both my comfort zone and my skillset. For some weird reason, I believe that I could actually win something. Good news is that, if I don't win anything, I'll have done what anyone would have expected... but if I DO win something, well... that'll be a great gift from the Man upstairs and a big thumbs up to everything I've learned from lots of homework and the invaluable knowledge from this excellent community. If you guys have any good vibes to send, feel free to send them to me in Alabama! I leave tomorrow afternoon for exactly one day of practice before the tournament begins on Saturday morning.

Should be fun! :eek:

Reactions: oldkayaker

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not win any prize money, but I came close. After one and a half days of trying to learn as much as I could by trial and error and looking around, I got my first bass on a frog off a milfoil mat (took 2 hours sitting in the same spot to get three strikes, caught two of them). I tried punch rigs and I just couldn't decide if I was doing it right since the bite was really slow (according to everyone, even the locals, it was really slow Fri and Sat). I tried to put the pieces of what I had found together, and followed the wind and the bait and made a few educated bets on where they might be, and despite a stiff cool NW wind and bluebird sky, started getting some fish in the boat on Sunday. Got 2 Friday, 3 Saturday (biggest 2lb), and then on Sunday caught 12 fish with 4 over 2lb, and a 4.10 that put me in 6th place on the leaderboard with 15 min left in the hour. I ended up fishing to my strength using a Texas rig worm but swimming it over the tops of the non-emergent grass edges near boat docks and occasionally dropping it in and twitching it out, as well as some boat dock pitching. I just couldn't get the confidence in the grass mats to sit on them for hours on end without catching anything (I stayed on them for a few hours but finally had to change tactics to get some fish in the boat). I managed to get on the leaderboard for about 10 minutes and then got bumped off by a couple more fish. Managed in the top 10 (#9) out of 400+ anglers for that one hour with that 4lb'er but they only pay out to 7th place.

I learned a lot, had fun, caught some fish, and I'm exhausted. After seeing it, trying it, and talking to a couple of the locals afterwards, I feel like I have the right idea for fishing the mats and I know that's where the bigger fish are. The guy who won it weighed a 7.8 or so fish I think, and I'm 90% sure he was fishing the grass. I think if I go next year I have a better idea of how I'll approach those grass mats and I have enough confidence in how to do it that I could stick with it till I get the bite.

Lots of new knowledge, fun, fish, and time on the water. Other than the annoyance of operating a motor vehicle anywhere within 60 miles of Atlanta, I can't complain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.