NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will be staying a few nights on the banks for Hiwassee Lake near Murphy, NC, later this month. have not had much luck finding fishing reports and related details for that lake. anyone have experience fishing there or know of helpful resources? i believe the NC state record for a landlocked striper was caught there in 1991 (54lbs). anyone know if striper fishing is still good there?

thanks for any leads,

// joel

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
No stripers. That fish was washed out of a lake in Georgia apparently.

Most folks who fish Hiawassee fish for largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass or walleye.

I have also heard there are rainbow trout and muskellunge in the lake.

Never fished it myself but from what I have heard it's a good black bass lake.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gambusia: thanks for the reply. talked to someone at H & H Sports in Murphy, NC, and he confirmed much the same thing. Stripers are in the lake only by accident, apparently from GA's Nottley Lake -- which is supposed to be a decent striper lake. He said Hiwassee is good smallmouth lake, but you have to fish for them pretty deep (30-40ft?). also said LMB are pretty good there, too. still find them occasionally chasing shad on the surface this time of year.

anyone have experience fishing for smallmouth that deep? what kind of lures and techniques? sounds like the lake is pretty clear, too, so may need to add a flourocarbon leader on my braid (or swap it out entirely).

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have heard the same thing- Nottley Lake is a good trophy striper lake.

I always like fishing for smallmouths with live bait (shiners or crayfish).

For lures you might try spoons or Rapala ice jigs if they are that deep.

Hopkins Spoons are real good spoons in my experience and will catch a variety of fish in both saltwater and freshwater.

Jigs are another good option. I think browns, blacks and whites are good natural colors. You can also tip your jig with a nightcrawler to attract trout or walleye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.