NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good day at Lake James yesterday. Found breaking schools of good smallmouth in a few places, and if there was any type of structure around you could blind cast as well (humps, extended points/bars). Saw fish busting very small shad and some of the biggest shad I've seen being chased on top. There were some good fish mixed in. Caught a couple 18" plus fish, but most averaged around 15-16. All fish caught on topwater (bone sexy dawg). Threw A-rig, jerkbaits, jig/flukes, spinnerbaits and crankbaits in the same areas I was catching them and couldn't get a sniff. Weather was perfect for topwater, overcast with enough wind to ripple the surface. I also only saw one jet ski and one ski boat.

Anyone have thoughts on catching these seemingly roaming schools of smallmouth other than with topwater or throwing at busting fish? Frustrating to know they are there and not be able to get bit. I assume they sit near the bars or points and wait for shad to get forced up onto the structure, since idling around I could see large schools of bait on the Lowrance suspended in 20-30 feet of water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.