NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I could use some help.

I'm getting married in a couple of weeks, so a few of my buddies are coming up this weekend for a pretty tame bachelor party, and we're planning to camp and fish at Lake James. I know that James is a pretty tough lake to fish without a motor boat, so I could use a few pointers on what to use in order to catch some fish. We'll be in kayaks and canoes. Obviously, we wouldn't be able to get out super deep to fish, or cover miles of water, but we're all pretty experienced boaters and generally know how to catch fish. I've been doing some reading and saw that jigs with tubes have been successful in the past, along with spinners and cranks. We're not super picky, but it would be nice to catch a smallie or too. I'm just guessing that normal tactics should do okay, but I'm looking for any specifics that you guys may have (obviously not "secret spots" or anything but any information would definitely be helpful). Thanks for your help, and I will be eagerly looking forward to any responses.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went there for the first time today. Fished for about 5 hours. I put in at the Linville boat ramp off hwy 126. It was a bit tough getting around in the yak. It was pretty choppy with waves from the boats and wind. I tried spinners, crankbaits, different soft plastics, but no luck. Nice views though and the water was clean and clear. I spoke with a wildlife officer there at the ramp and he said a guy caught some nice walleye at that end of the lake over the weekend. Not sure what the lure of choice around there is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Favorite Spring lure has been a Zoom pearl fluke, mostly on areas with rock for the smallies over on the Linville side

I had a club tourney this last saturday and caught three smallies and seven LMB. One smallie came off shakey head surpisingly, also caught a nice three pounder on a main lake point in about 25 ft. of water on a spinnerbait. If you throw it enought off of points you will catch some that are pretty nice. LMB came off of shakey heads around docks. SOme topwater action early is always good

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'll start stocking the tackle box accordingly. Any of you other guys have ideas or experience with what I'm talking about? I hope to put some nice pics on here come Monday of next week with all the fish that you help me catch!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I used to live up that way and loved fishing James this time of year. The smallmouth are awesome on a jerk bait...a small x rap in the black and silver or olive green colors.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lb
where are y'all camping ?

Linville side ,I hear flukes are working on the Smalliies and jerk baits or night crawlers for the walleye.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't exactly know where we're camping, since my groomsmen are kinda hijacking me away. All I know is that I need to be ready to fish and camp. Thanks for all the help guys. Like I said the other day, hopefully I'll have lots of pictures to post on Sunday or Monday!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fish out there quite a bit and I catch large mouth pretty consistently on square bill crank baits (KVD 1.5). I usually throw at downed timber and get fish to chase my bait from out underneath it. I have been seeing a lot of bass roaming in shallow areas and thought about throwing a jig or some sort of creature bait next time I go. Caught a few on a wacky rigged worms too (pink/purple colors).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.