NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally fish rohdhiss and lake hickory and have only fished lake James a few times, but i am going this saturday to try and catch some smallmouth and walleye. I plan on putting in at the linville access and was wondering what are the best tacticts to cath smallmouth and walleye, i was also wandering when the fish start to move up, i dont know alot about the linville side so any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess we'll find out together I just got a 18 ft cc and plan on using it there this year quite a bit but plan on putting in at the Moose lodge. I did a scouting trip the other day and it looks like a beautiful lake. I understand the fishing is OK lots of boat traffic in summer and a fait amount of fishing pressure

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Fished it all my life. Tough lake to get to know. Walleye are around 70 to 90 ft. Jig and minnow for smallmouth. My trips lately have not been too productive. Big joke around some of the fishermen here when talking of James "It is the dead sea". Watch for points and drop offs around 40 to 50 ft. Locate humps with fish on them. Fish are still deep and water temp is down.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I normally fish rohdhiss and lake hickory and have only fished lake James a few times, but i am going this saturday to try and catch some smallmouth and walleye. I plan on putting in at the linville access and was wondering what are the best tacticts to cath smallmouth and walleye, i was also wandering when the fish start to move up, i dont know alot about the linville side so any information would be appreciated.
Where are you from?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i live about 10 minutes west of hickory in eastern burke county, if the fish are still deep i may change my mind and go somewhere else, i do more shallow water fishing. what time in march do the smallmouth and walleye move up on james? i was also wondering how the crappie fishing is on James

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i live about 10 minutes west of hickory in eastern burke county, if the fish are still deep i may change my mind and go somewhere else, i do more shallow water fishing. what time in march do the smallmouth and walleye move up on james? i was also wondering how the crappie fishing is on James
Howdy neighbor. I live about 10+ minutes north of Hickory. It depends on the weather and water temp. Mostly late March, early April. Not sure about the crappie. I usually fish other lakes for them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I guess we'll find out together I just got a 18 ft cc and plan on using it there this year quite a bit but plan on putting in at the Moose lodge. I did a scouting trip the other day and it looks like a beautiful lake. I understand the fishing is OK lots of boat traffic in summer and a fait amount of fishing pressure
First, the Moose Lodge is a LONG boat ride from the Linville access area but there are many fishy looking places in between.
As for the beauty of the lake, in my opinion, it aint what it used to be. Not too many years ago, there were only a handful of developed places on the lake but then Duke decided to sell off their property and developers were quick to grab it up and build houses where trees had been.:eek:
As for the fishing, James is a hard lake to get to know. I think the water clarity and temperature make it harder to fish than some others around but once you find 'em, the fish are there.
As for boat traffic, I'd call it moderate on summer weekends. I haven't been on the lake during the week in several years but used to be from Sunday evening until Friday afternoon, you pretty much had it to yourself. Ahh, the good ole days of high school.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.