NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone smallmouth fish Lake James? I would like to try but don't know much about them on conventional tackle... At least nothing other than what I have learned from Linders Angling on Versus....

I know (jerkbaits, x-raps, tubes, and flukes) but where are they possibly and what to really use... Just needing a little input :)

Any input would be nice... From any lake

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should find a lot of smallies on that lake right where the Linville River dumps in when the heat from summer sets in because the water is a little cooler and the smallie forage is more plentiful. Fishing a crawdad right now would be the way to go for me. I live in Spruce Pine and get to fish Lake James a little. You ever need a buddy to fish with jus let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lake james is a great small mouth lake i fish james 2 to 3 times a week and average a small mouth in the 4 pound range weekly. the two best lures are a carolina rig with a zoom finnese worm, and a basscraft spinnerbait you can find them at basscraftlures.com. most off the small mouth will be caught on the linville end of the lake were the water is cooler and a lot clearer

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love fishing for smallies. I used to go for them all the time when I lived in Mass and New Hampshire. Now I'm in Raleigh and I think I need to plan a weekend trip to the mountains for some smallie fishing. Thanks for this thread. I had no clue where to start looking for them. Where can I get a map for Lake James?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anyone is looking for a fishing partner to split costs for a trip to Lake James I am interested. I live in Hendersonville and do pretty well fishing the French Broad River but a day on a boat sounds nice! I sold my boats when I moved here from Fl a few years ago since there aren't too many places nearby to use them. Kinda wish I had kept at least my 14' Carolina Skiff but even that is tough to find places to launch within an hour of where I live. My 20' KeyWest would have been sitting in my driveway 99% of the time and would have made me sad seeing it go unused. I used to live 5 miles from Sebastian Inlet near Vero Fl. I had my boats out 3-4 times a month minimum. I still wouldn't trade where I live now though, just have to adjust my fishing habits!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love fishing for smallies. I used to go for them all the time when I lived in Mass and New Hampshire. Now I'm in Raleigh and I think I need to plan a weekend trip to the mountains for some smallie fishing. Thanks for this thread. I had no clue where to start looking for them. Where can I get a map for Lake James?
I'd be up for a trip to James, would split costs. You have a boat or would you rent one? If you want to try fishing te French Broad I can urn yu on to some very good wade fishing in the Asheville area. Doesn't cost much and I catch plenty of bass. See my post.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.