NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent last Sun. on Lake James with my father and my oldest daughter. Target was walleye. Weather was warm, unusually warm. When walleye fishing this is not a good sign. I have fished James for many years and this was the calmest I have ever seen it. Not even a ripple on the water. We marked fish starting at around 70ft and most around 90ft. We spent the morning jigging and talking. It was a real thrill to see my father passing on fishing techniques and knowledge about fishing to my daughter, just as he did me. I stayed quiet and only added bits of info. My daughter is 6 and is at the point where she wants to learn about fish patterns and what we are doing. Bluebird day and I couldn't think of a better way to spend it. As for the fishing, well it was not productive. Still one of the most enjoyable trips I've had. I have spoiled my daughter by taking her places where she is sure to catch. I think she came away with a lesson learned as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Crummy,
Nice to hear that you had a great time with your father and daughter. I took my kids fishing quite often in their younger years also and as time passed on they seemed to develope their own interest so the fishing slacked off. It still brings back some good memories though. Just wanted to ask you when the walleyes start their spawn and how you go about fishing for them. I'm from Asheboro and have never fished lake James but have heard that the water is very clear and that the lake holds many walleyes. Hope to hear from you
Scuttlebutt_57

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the water is clear. During spawn usually we fish the river channel and main channel points. During this time the fish are moving alot. Parts of the mouth of Linville river are off limits and posted as so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Crummy.....I'll have to get over there and check it out. I used to do quite a bit of walleye fishing in the creeks and rivers up in home in Pa. We mostly used live minnows and night crawlers so I'll have to give jigging and trolling a try in Lake James.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those same techniques will work also. During spawn the river is off limits also. So we are left with the lake. Many years ago we did fish for them in the river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.