NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
water temp 44 / air temp 43 / Partly sunny / Day before large winter front

Started S of Fisher Knob up Devels creek. Marked some bait toward back so trolled sutton spoons on downriggers at various depths (25-75 feet). No takers so ran up Toxaway to troll channel near forest point. Managed one stocker over tree at 60 feet. Moved up Horsepasture and marked numerous bait balls toward the back. The bait has moved out from the very back a good bit. As the water cools even more the shad should migrate to the main lake. Look around 400 yds from the back of the creeks. Marked 5 balls in about 80-95 foot of water. Fished bait starting with the shallowest. Managed several bass and trout on mega bait jigging spoon. Noticed bait and fish suspended off bottom so switched to drop shot with 6 foot leader between weight and lure. Fished Gulp minnows in smoke color. Gulp was a perfect immitation of the shad and the bite was on. Managed 50 plus trout with a dozen or so bass all caught from 90 feet. Several nice 15 plus trout and one over 21 inches.

Tip:
Mark bait while motoring up creeks on your GPS. Vertical fish just below balls with baitfish immitations. Blade baits, jigs, and dropshots work great for this. Start shallow and move deep. Once bite slows you have two options. 1) Speed presentation up or raise bait to level of arcs on your echo sounder. 2) Alternate between ballls of bait. Then come back to original and the bite should be on again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are you a guide, or were you going out with one? I've been out on Jocassee with James Couch one time, if you're a guide down there I figure you probably know him. My parents store their boat at his place.

anyway, good report! Wish I didn't live 7 hours from Jocassee, or I'd be fishing it all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you a guide, or were you going out with one? I've been out on Jocassee with James Couch one time, if you're a guide down there I figure you probably know him. My parents store their boat at his place.

anyway, good report! Wish I didn't live 7 hours from Jocassee, or I'd be fishing it all the time.

RE:

Yes I am a guide in the area. We run Jocassee, Hartwell, Fontana, and Keowee. If your in the area give us a try. Fontana and Jocassee are outstanding.

Frank Askew
Up-Close Outfitters
www.mappingandguides.co
828-273-0286

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.