NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been invited to go out Sunday in a kayak to Lake Johnson in Raleigh.

I searched and haven't seen much info. Anyone have any suggestions or been there recently?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've gone out there four or five times this year. I normally catch decent numbers of bass when I go. I typically rent one of the jon boats w/ motors that they have. Normally just fish along the banks and around fallen trees since I don't know where the deep water structure is. If you're leaving the little rec center that they have there is a large cove at your 10 o'clock with some decent fallen trees in the area. I've had my best luck fishing that cove and then that far bank & just hit the trees on the way. Not a lot of fishing pressure on the lake, which is nice. Never had any luck top water there. I primarily used shallow diving cranks (it's pretty shallow in most areas) or anything wormlike. Good amount of crappy, but most I've caught have been on the small side. Hope this helps. -Justin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just signed on and saw all this. Thanks a lot guys.

The only thing we are concerned about for Tomorrow is there is an ironman competition at lake wheeler around avent ferry and they will have a lot of roads closed and possibly some traffic issues. So we will probably go down 40 and get off at Gorman to come around to the lake launc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to follow up on this, we got out there later than we should have, like 10:30, fished til 4 throwing everything I had all around the lake, one bite on a green senko thats it.

The fishfinder had a lot on it but they were suspended out in the middle.

On another note, that is a really nice facility. Deck overlooking the water rental jonboats/canoes/sailboats/ kayaks with lots of staff and it was packed. We had to park a mile away at Athens drive after unloading and walk all the way there to get the truck to load.

But it is really nice to see people use a city park. I didn't see one fish caught though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I fished it a few times. I haven't caught any bass yet. I fished the edges and fallen trees with a watermelon lizard texas rigged. I haven't tried the crankbait yet. A couple of weeks ago we caught about 15 decent bream. A few were shellcrackers. I've made it about a third of the way around the lake edges so far. I'll try to work my way around the whole lake eventually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts