NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes,
you do need a permit. You can get it at town hall during the week only.
You can get a years pass or a pass for one day. If you want to fish for the year it was like 20.00. It is well worth it if you want to spend some time there.

You can walk across the street to Reems Creek and fish the deep hole there for trout too.

The biggest bass hang out near the tree on the main street side. Some of the best bass fishing is opposite of the street side near the big willow tree.

If you want to catch crappie and bedded bass, fish the side where Reems Creek is. Right in front where the Sheriff's Deputy's house is.

The bluegills bed on the opposite side of the Deputy's house. Fish the deeper water there when you see the little ones on the bed. You should see a pipe in the water there. There are many bluegill over 12" in the lake. You can catch those frisbee size blugill on the main street side where the rip rap is too. The brush is thick, but it can be worth it. I caught a 12 " there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lake Tomohawk is only good for cats. You can catch small crappie at Tomohawk with gulp magots between the rocks at the edge is fun.

Louise is where the crappie are. They average about 8-10 " but many are bigger. Louise is sight fishing, you need polarized glasses and stay mobile. You can see the crappie and bass on the edges of the lake on a sunny day. Use yellow lenses during cloudy days and you can see just as well. Try crappie minnows under a thin bobber. The less weight you use with a lure or bait is bettter because it is shallow and those fish are spooky.

I usually walked around the lake once before I started fishing to know if the fish were shallow. I ran into a lot of cruising bass that way.

Here's another tip. If you like to trout fish, catch some horney heads in Reems Creek. These are some type of chub if your not familiar. You can catch them with a small hook and 2 kernels of corn. Use them in a hole in the river for trout. These will catch the biggest trout in the hole.

Let me know if you have any other questions about that area. I maybe able to help. I lived in Weaverville off of Reems Creek Rd. for a couple of years.

Good luck Tailchasr

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

The crappie I have been catching at Tomahawk have been 6-8 inches. I also have caught some green sunfish

I've also seen some big bass at Tomahawk much like you've said you've seen at Louise and some monstorous goldfish.

You fish any at Beaver Lake?

Thanks for the information

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told by the lake warden last year yellow perch have all but dissappeared from Beaver Lake during the last two years.

Wonder what the draw down did to the fish populations. The great blue herons were out in force all last year at Beaver

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.