NC Angler Forums banner

lake mayo

Lake 
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave B. 
#1 ·
im in a tourny on mayo in march. i here there are a lot of pickerel in there.
any tips to keep the pickerel off and the bass biting.

#3 ·
Moved this thread out of the reports section and into freshwater fishing.

Never been to Mayo. Not sure how much of a "problem" they are there. I've caught pickerel on topwater frogs, spinner baits, jerkbaits and crankbaits. I've seen them caught on texas rigged plastics. Seems like if they can see it and take a fancy, they won't be easily swayed. If you really want to avoid them, I guess you could try to avoid the weeds and fish deep structure - outside edges of docks, channel edges, rockpiles/humps, etc... I can't imagine they're really so bad that you can't effectively fish for bass wherever you want to. If they are that thick, I hope you'll let me know - I'd be happy to get tired from catching too many pickerel!

#4 ·
Try to fish under them if you can get it past them.. They are pesky for sure, and they'll strike at top water lures without a doubt... so if you can get past them and fish under them that should keep them off your bait (unless they strike it when it hits the water).

Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.