NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some basic info on Lake Michie . I've never fished it and have a tournament in late March. I plan to pre fish and wondered who can share some basic info. Even just where the launches are and are their certain things I need to be aware or wary of. Depths, how wind/rain effects it etc. I am assuming it isn't very deep and muddys easily? Any special underwater structures, roadbeds, RR, cemeteries etc. ?

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
233 Posts
I haven't fished it in years but I doubt much has changed. 1 ramp and there is a large rock close by the ramp on the bridge side that can be trouble on lower water. Obvious river channel going under the bridge with a small creek flowing into it on the left side if you are facing the bridge. I can't remember for sure if it is before or on the other side of the bridge. That's all on the upper end of the lake. Don't know much about the lower end as my Dad and I usually drifted around the bridge catching crappie.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Only one place to launch boat. Get on Bahama road and when you cross the lake the entrance will be on the right. Overall it's a pretty deep lake with plenty of shallows to fish. A few humps, but I would think the end of March you would be thinking fairly shallow and maybe points or something like that. What style you like to fish and I can give you a few spots to try.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tourney is next weekend (28th). I know we are in a transition period preparing to spawn but this weeks weather is going to be screwy with some warm days and cold nights and rain. I am thinking water temps might stabilize by Saturday but with some nights near freezing after a Wednesday in the 70s and a front pushing through I'm not sure how to approach it. I think I have some gear and tackle for every tactic, just have to decide how to start in unfamiliar waters.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that "cover lots of water" part is tricky in an all electric boat..LOL..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I got an electric boat and can dang near fish the whole lake in a 7 hour tourney. You don't want to hole sit up there this time of the year. The bigguns is shallow. Might be hard to get to bite so the more fish you can put a bait in front of the better the chances of tricking one to bite. :)

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
that "cover lots of water" part is tricky in an all electric boat..LOL..
By that, he means dont camp out in the same place for very long, keep moving. Give alot of fish an annoying short commercial to sell your lure instead of giving one a 30 minute infomercial. It amazes me that a jon boat club with limited range always has such heavy weights and in boat tournaments we might run 30 miles one way and come back with 3 that barely measure.:D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I lived that lake for years . My suggestion is don't head up river head for the lake it's deep and steep . Spinner baits and deep diving cranks as well as Texas rigged worms . And wood works the more vertical the better there are alot of big fish in that lake . 1 launch like mentioned before . I disagree with you can cover the whole laKe in 7 hrs . I have trouble with doing g it in a bass boat . Off shore points . Rocks and wood . Unfortunately it requires a little effort to find the better points and the better fish are on the end of the lake . Huge population of shad . Around 3" size look like a large rattle trap . I have wondered how well an A rig would do there haven't tried but have caught many doubles on a crank .

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Watching this thread with interest. It is not too far from my daughters house, and since the SIL bought Eddies old Ride as a spare/river boat. I have a yak available at their house. But with Falls being even closer and some of the "local flows calling my name, I may head elsewhere.

Good luck in the tournament Brent.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DB when you get up on the end of Falls called Beaver Dam, you will be very happy. No powerboats allowed on that end and lots of fishy water. I've never really gotten to fish it any but from the shore as there is no launch for a boat you cant carry. But I love the area. Thanks for the "well wishes".

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Make sure however you decide to fish that you are targeting big fish. I believe some of those guy's fished a side tourney up there last weekend and it took over 20 pounds to win. If I'm not too bad off it might have been about 22 pounds.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah they nailed em last week but we have some funky weather pushing through this week. going to be freezing Saturday morning there so Im not sure how that's going to effect the bite. I would think the larger fish will tough it out and be in a spawning pattern anyway..

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
By that, he means dont camp out in the same place for very long, keep moving. Give alot of fish an annoying short commercial to sell your lure instead of giving one a 30 minute infomercial. It amazes me that a jon boat club with limited range always has such heavy weights and in boat tournaments we might run 30 miles one way and come back with 3 that barely measure.:D
When you lack the horse power and the speed you tend to be more thorough.
When I first started tournament fishing years ago I had a 60 horse motor and a 41 pound thrust trolling motor. I routinely out fished the Rangers and Skeeters in club tournaments. I had to be more thorough in my homework, be more thorough in my investigations, and spend more time in places I knew held fish. I might throw to a fence post 30 times and pull big fish of the tourney off it the 30th cast. Sometimes you just got to slow down to catch fish. Especially tournament winning fish.

Back in the 80s there was pretty much one guy cleaning house in all the money tournaments at Shearon Harris. While everybody else was zipping up and down the lake he was camped on a railroad bed fishing 10-20 feet of water SLOW with a carolina rig. He won thousands of dollars up there. He wasn't dink fishing like the rest were. He was grandma and grandpa fishing.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Being thorough has helped me in bass fishing. Especially if you find one, lots of times there are more. Then again, covering water doesn't have to mean flying to the other end of the lake. I like to think there's a productive medium to being thorough and covering water.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.