NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know This is NORTH Carolina Angler:p but I'm heading to Lake Murray next Friday night and really hope to catch a few stripers. Has anybody been there lately and if so, are the fish biting around the towers yet? If not, where are they?
Also, does anyone have a sugestion on where to buy bait? I know there are several bait shops in the area that have herring but I know nothing about them.
Thanks for any input,

Dave

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
From where ever you put in head for the dam. If you don't find some along the way you should find plenty near the dam. Fresh cut herring on the bottom and live herring on down lines in the neighborhood of 30' seems to be working good. There are a couple of places along Dreher Island Rd. that sell live herring. Big Bird Landing at the Adams Cr. bridge And Station 2. I believe George's Live Herring also delivers a load to the ramp at Dreher Island State Park in the mornings. His place is 59?? Macedonia Church Rd. just South of Prosperity. Look for the sign. That is probably the most likely place to have them in a crunch. If you are going to put in somewhere else I'll try and get you some more locations for bait that will be closer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably be putting in at the landing near the dam. From what I've read, Better Baits or Lake World should both have herring and are just across the dam. I'll probably give one of these a try since I'll be down that way. Thanks for the info. I have fished there once last summer and we pulled live herring around the towers and did pretty good so I thought I'd start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If that don't work try and find some humps sticking up just above the thermocline which should be within a few feet of 30' now. I think you should score with plan A but you know how fishing can be. I hope ya'll return sore from pulling on them. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.