NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nantahala is a tough lake to fish without a boat. Bank fishing opportunities are scarce and the terrain is very steep and loaded with boulders and slides. I target salmon and trout and mostly troll deep(30 to 60+ feet down). I got same planers boards to experiment with this year too target fish in the upper water column(will be using spoons and spinners). For salmon and trout I mostly use squids and hootchies behind a dodger. In addition to salmon and trout I have caught smallmouth bass, walleye, yellow perch, crappie and one sauger on this set up. Schools of large bass roam the lake but I have not had much success with them(live bait might work). Some decent sized channel cats can be caught as well at Nantahala. If you want to catch trout I would head to the Nantahala river, The Valley river, Junalaska creek, Queens Creek Lake. Jigging might be productive as well on the points. A decent fishfinder/gps is a must as there is a lot of empty water at Nantahala.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.