NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White perch are prespawn in the mouth of coves staging up for the spring run. We caught 28 big sows this weekend on live minnows and jigs 30 -40 feet deep. I have pics as jpg attachments in an email from my wife but I could not get them uploaded. Sometimes what seems easy to the rest of the world is a struggle for me, but I sho can catch fish! Norman is full of these tasty non natives and should be fished heavily. Go on get you some!
Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White perch eat minnows readily. So we use mostly live shiners and small artificials like creme Lil Fishie, 1/4 oz white rooster tails, and berkley power bait jigs. They are a schooling species and are usually caught in water 10 -40 feet deep. So I guess one could say that fishing for perch is similar to crappie but structure like a brush pile is important for crappie but not perch. They are excellent table fare and fun to catch when you find some big ones like we did last weekend. Tie dropper loops and multiple hooks vertically like a sabiki rig and catch them two at a time when they are really hot. Enjoy!
Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if other lakes have white perch or not. They are native to eastern "blackwaters". Yellow perch were once common in the catawba chain. I don't ever see those anymore. Norman is full of white perch. I suggest Rhodhiss for crappie and James for White Bass and Walleye both should be hot in the next few weeks. I have targeted white bass on red clay banks in James in the spring. Walleye run up from James into the catawba river in spring. Just some suggestions...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.