NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys—I am headed to the lake and campground next weekend for four days (Sunday through Wednesday). Was there March 2020 for a few days, and have been wanting to go back. Hoping that someone can give me a fairly recent fishing report, or any tips/suggestions for fishing the lake.

Last time I was there the wind was howling and the lake was so rough I never launched my yak—so I have zero fishing experience on this lake. This time I am taking my 16 foot Privateer Bay Skiff so I can get around on this huge body of water. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One last request before I leave for Phelps on Sunday—please, ANY info will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Chris,
I've only been to Phelps once and it was in June. The wind wasn't so bad when we launched at the state park and it was beautiful on the opposite shore, down from Conman's. Had really good luck throwing unweighted senkos into the grass. Hopped out a couple of times and walked the shoreline and got into the bushes some. We caught a handful of really nice bass. Thankfully we didn't see any snakes.
Crossing the lake and taking out was a nightmare. The wind had picked up considerably. My son and I exchanged some harsh words trying to get him off the boat so he could get the truck and trailer. All was forgiven when we finally got the boat on the trailer and drained the bilge. I hope you had a great weekend.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info—I arrived Sunday mid-afternoon, set up camp, and was able to fish for about 2 hours. Pulled one largemouth (about 2 pounds) out of the cypress trees on the bank. Started raining Sunday night, and then the wind got up—it was still blowing about 15 mph until I left on Wednesday morning. Phelps is like a big shallow bowl, so wind direction doesn’t matter—it just gets really rough and retrieving your boat at the ramp is really a challenge for one person.

Just for general info for folks who may be interested in going: This is the second time I have attempted to fish this lake. I am not sure I will plan another trip in advance. I am thinking it would be better to get up one dead calm morning and drive there, as opposed to making camping reservations. The lake, and Pettigrew State Park, are both beautiful. The park is near Creswell, but is really in the middle of nowhere—but the park itself is nicely developed with bath house, board walk through the cypress forest, hiking trails, fishing piers, and a swimming area. Reasonably priced firewood and ice are available at/near the park office. A good back-up plan for fishing would be to make the short drive to Columbia and put ofer in the Scuppernong River, which would be somewhat more protected.

@Sam in GA — I got your pm and have tried to answer, but the forum won’t let me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts