NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted to fish there but never had the chance. Probably going out there sometime this spring though. Word is there are some pretty nice bass there and a ton of raccoon perch. Any truth to that?

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
721 Posts
there are definitely a lot of bass there. ive been once, and saw them everywhere...yes saw them. the water is crystal clear and 6 ft deep max across the lake. and they were tight lipped. sight fished all day when we went and could only entice a second look. no bites.

speakin of shallow, let the wind blow the wrong way and you could get in a bind on the far side of the place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I saw a special about the lake on NC Outdoor Magazine and they caught some nice ones fly fishing. It looks to be a lot like Lake Waccamaw south of Wilmington. I've fished it a few times and it can get really, really rough when the wind picks up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rather than start a new one I figured I would revive this one. I've never fished Phelps but want to go up and wade for bass.

I understand the Pocosin Overlook on the south side is where to get in for wading. Anyone been since this thread was last updated? I understand the lake was drawn down quite a bit fighting the big fire up that way last year, has it bounced back?

Any pointers or reports about wading there would be appreciated. Waders recommended or shorts/sneakers? I have an old fly rod but not sure I want to hassle with it, any good tackle/techniques to recommend? I'm assuming light spinning gear since it's clear and shallow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is a long thread from the later winter, that I started, Lake Phelps, do or die, I think it was called.

The last report I received was that due to the fire and Drought (can't figure that out) that the ramp at the park is closed or is very difficult to launch from.

I understand the SW corner, nearxxxxOutpost (can't think of the name) is where the best wading it, opposite end of the lake from state park ramp. I am waiting for a better report on water level before heading up there. Again, there is a pretty long thread from the winter concerning Phelps.

lln

·
Registered
207 Posts
Im thinking about going there this weekend. Anyone know of any hot spots there? I'll be putting in a 16ft aluminum boat with a johnson 40 and trolling motor.. Wait baits work the best for the late summer months out there.. anyone know???

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i would not go there until next year with any boat that has a motor.........the water is down over a foot... the lake only gets water from rain and last years fire, they drained a lot of water out of it.....10 years ago? when that also happenen the lake had bad fishing for several years........a foot doesnt sound like much but on phelps it is drastic......lake still looks close to full but that 1 foot or so is a lot........let me put it this way...i fish it most of the time with a 15 1/2 ft square stern with a 2.5 horse.....i can take that boat just about anywhere.......this year we had to paddle out 100-200 yds before i could even get the motor down......people are anchoring there boats that far offshore as they cant get them out from therir piers without trouble......if i went i would just take a canoe this year...last year we caught too many to count arond 5 lbs...this year we went bear looking the fishing was so bad..............mack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.