NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is lake rim in the winter? I just got really into fishing this year and i never fished in the winter months. Besides the change in weather how is fishing changed for panfish and bass?

How would i fish soft plastics during the winter months and how would i fish live bait for panfish. Also i fish of the peir/dock/land there because of my boatless situation. Would this change how i fish in the winter months also?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
use the search for terms like "cold" "weather" "deep" and read alot of the posts we have had lately about the weather changes and how it effects fishing. Same basically applies to all water bodies. As far as Lake Rim specifics I can't help you.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Well... from my experience... lake rim is a waste of time.. sorry to bust any bubble of expectation or hope...

You'd be lucky to catch a fish if there's even any in there....

Best bet would be Harris lake up the road, or Cape Fear River lock and dams south Fayetteville or head up a little further past Harris to Jordan lake.

Lake Waccamaw has black crappie and other types of fishin, White lake there near Elizebeth town has some nice yellow perch fishin and the only other body of water I can think of would be around Fayetteville would be Waldo's Beach. But I havent been to Waldo's in 10 some odd years.. so maybe a FFC member could chime in on that for ya.

I'd say skip Rim.... not worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree with Dave. Skip it!!! Plenty of good lakes on Fort Bragg.

Waldo's Beach? Man it has been awhile since you where there. There's nothing but the beach. The dam washed out in 2003 when the Hope Mills Lake dam broke.

The repairs to the Hope Mills dam should be completed this year. Might have some fishing there before too long.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I hear ya... I'd (or at least back then) would rather fish Waldo's than Rim... Rim before it was a park, was nothin but the local trash dump... or place for druggies and drunks at night.. pretty scary place at night around then... I never went back once I saw folks just tossing their worm buckets into the water there under the dock and watching others catch brim to just leave them to die along the bank on the grass.... That pretty much ruined the Rim experience for me.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm sure that there are some Hawgs in the lake. I just don't know anyone who has ever hooked one. I remember when they drained the lake to repair the dam, the creek was full of 5 pound plus Bass. People were carrying those fish out for three weeks after the water went down.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Jordan lake is north of Fayetteville/Sanford off US1, just pick any Jordan lake exit.

Harris lake is south of US1, get off at exit "Old US1" exit and take road south to the Wildlife acess just before Hwy 42 or take 42 up thru Sanford to Harris lake and follow the Wildlife Management sign direction.

Cape Fear River is at the Lee County line right on Hwy 42 out of Sanford...

Ya know what... google up Jordan lake NC, Shearon Harris lake NC, White Lake NC, Lake Waccamaw NC... should be easier for you to see how to get to them. ;)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Don't forget about Mazerick Park on Bragg Blvd. You can rent a boat from there also. Have caught a few bream and a 1 lb bass out there.

There's also Rhodes pond if you don't mind bream and little flyers. And the occasional catfish and bowfin.

You can also fish the cape fear at Riverside sports (went there last night and caught a couple small cats) and also at Arnette Park.

I will also go with some of the others. I have only talked to one person who says they have any luck fishing in Lake Rim. They said there were some good slabs (crappie) in there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys thanks alot thanks a whole lot. I live in sanford and these are a pretty much equal distance from my house. Well when i get my license ill be up there all the time. Right now im headin off to the pond by my house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.