NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here know anything about or fish Lake Royale around Raleigh / Bunn? Maybe know someone who lives on the lake that I may contact and ask questions about the fishing... I am considering a possible move that would involve lake living / fishing and this is one of the areas but I don't know anyone there nor have I fished it... Any leads or knowledge shared will be greatly appreciated.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I haven't personally in years but lived in Bunn and spent a lot of time there 20yrs ago. The lake is pretty good size, but always overrun with pleasure boaters. The bass are stunted and the water quality is poor. I've noticed the camping lots are practically being given away by a lot of people. I will try to reconnect with some old friends and find out more for you..

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
My info is about as old as SunDrop's. I owned a camper lot on the lake across from the upper boat ramp. Lots of dinks, a few larger bass and a great panfish lake. The one silver lining to the bass situation was that there were so many dinks that stringing them was not frowned upon. HOA fees are why lots are sometimes practically given away. They weren't terrible and I don't know what they are now, but for people who rarely go and only own a little patch of ground they start adding up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My information is a little older than everyone's so far,more like 25 years ago.the problems with fishing Lake Royale were legal access and boat traffic.Management changed frequently and at one time I remember going on a promotional tour to view property and received a small TV for my time.Couples were run in and out like so many other timeshares.One of my fishing buddies had access and we fished early,late and during the week and avoided almost all boaters.We seldom saw other people fishing.I went when invited and my fishing partner/friend had spent a lot of time on the lake studying deeper structures to fish.He lived by the solunar tables,particularly during spawning months.There were (and probably still are) some offshore (50 yards or more) channel bends that we fished very thoroughly with worms and jig'n'pigs.During spawning season we caught fish on banks near the drop-offs and in the the backs of any cove with live flow.Since he figured that this was a non shad lake,we used bream type baits...Bagley,Thinfin,etc. as well as some topwaters like Zara,Devil Horse,etc.We caught a lot of fish near docks and walkways near the ramps.My best day personally was a 7+ and 8+ on back to back casts within 30 yards of a ramp.My friend's personal best was a 10+ from an outside bend of a channel way off the bank. We never did well in the upper or extreme lower parts of the lake.Then there was no problem with water quality.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Water quality wasn't an issue for me, either. I think it has been about 16 years since I sold. One odd thing I remember is the covenants changed and docks had to be shorter than mine, but it was grandfathered (already there when I bought). It was in bad shape, but I had to replace planks with the old frame and over the course of a few months replaced the posts and framing 2 posts at a time. If I had rebuilt it all at once, I would have had to build it back shorter.

I never caught one over 5#, but neighbors did and I did catch a few in the 2# - 4# range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two friends that have places at Lake Royale. I was thinking about a lot there for my camper. After spending a day looking lots go any where from $1000 for uncleared lots to $10,000 for cleared lots with septic, water, and electric. They have a bunch of lots for sale and as other people have said people are trying to give the lots away to get away from the annual fee of $700 per lot for the camping lots. If you buy a camping lot you will probably have it forever. There are some really nice houses there if that is what you are looking for. The camping area is not right at the houses. It is about 5 miles to drive around the lake. If I was going to live in the area after I retire I would consider it. However, when I retire I am headed back to Florida where I am originally from. My friends say the fishing is not bad. Especially if you like pan fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.