NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thom-a-lex 7-8.jpg
Fished 6:30 to 11:30 was starting to get a little nervous only 1 bite but no fish, 10:30 in a cove I had not fished before this little fatty made my day. Beautiful weather with a good breeze. Able to fish using my peddle drive to control my yak. I love this yak best investment I ever did. Meet a local at the dock who had some real good luck and he advised me where to go and what to use. Going back Thurs to see.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
There are bass in that lake, I have caught them. However, I have spent far more time fishing than catching at that lake. My best days were actually the sort-of point just 60 or so yards southwest of the ramp, the rocks by the bridge on the SE end, South side (the part you can see from the ramp, across the channel), and the lower 1/3 on the West side of the lake starting with the Y-shaped cove and going down from there. I've caught a few on the deeper shoreline sections of the major arm off the upper end (the arm that goes due North) as well, but that's been spotty.

That's from fishing there about twice a week for the entire 2009 season. I once thought I would make it my home lake since it's only about 15 minutes from my doorstep, but after fishing there that whole year, I was not as excited. I fished Randleman Reservoir on its opening day in 2010, realized it's only 15 to 20 minutes further from home, and I haven't thought about Thom-A-Lex since.

Glad you caught something, that's better than a lot of days I spent out there. Best day I ever had I caught 9 and I wondered what the *&^&* happened; most days I felt really lucky if I got to use more than 3 fingers to count them up, and plenty of skunkers.

Congrats, I hope you crack the code out there; I never did!

Reactions: oldkayaker

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the advise Sam. I am still learning fresh water so anything I catch is a plus. I agree about Randalman being better. But I like to go around and try as many lakes as possible for a change of scenery and fishing ideas. Gonna give it another try today hope I have something to report

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't forget to tell everyone that this lake charges to launch and fish. It is only 15 minutes from home, but for what I have to pay to fish and put boat in, it is worth it to me to drive past it and go to High Rock. As is Salem Lake in Winston.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I thought NCWRC managed that lake as a trophy lake?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
om-a-Lex 7-10.jpg
Fished Thom-A-Lex today 2.9 0z god little fighter. Also a little dink and lost 2 to the branches. As I said a local who fishes the lake quite often told me Tues to get a gold spinner and fish the North lake. I did and got this one. I just enjoy going to the different lakes and peddeling around and trying different lures. I have 6 rods rigged on the yak with different things but always 1 with speed craw. If I catch or not it is still a great day on the water and at 75 I hope I have a lot more.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
I thought NCWRC managed that lake as a trophy lake?
I think they used to, but I don't think it's been very well managed or regulated in more recent years from what I have heard.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think they used to, but I don't think it's been very well managed or regulated in more recent years from what I have heard.
The last time I was on that lake ( about 1.5 years ago ) the NCWRC was collecting their nets. They had been surveying the lake.

I can tell you exactly what Tom-a-lex has a problem with..... its is the shad poorest lake I've ever been on in my life. They need to dump tons of thread fin shad in that lake for 2 or 3 seasons.....and some gizzard shad. ts not because the lake can't support it. It can. It has plenty of run off and tons of organic material in the lake to feed them. They also need to double or triple their stocking of hybrids..... along with some female bass. There are tons of little little bitty bream everywhere in that lake. They might need to have a tagged bream contest.

They also need to go back to having a full time game warden to patrol the lake and manage the catches. There are certain people that will sit at the bridge and clean the place out from time to time. Much like they have done at Old City Lake.

You can't allow people to take everything out of a lake and then refuse to have an aggressive re-stocking program. Its not rocket science. The shad kills over the last 4 or 5 years has hurt every lake. Its never about killed Tom-a-Lex and Old City Lake. I can remember driving up to Old-City lake years ago and watching thousands of shad spawning out over open water. You will not see that happening now.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
The last time I was on that lake ( about 1.5 years ago ) the NCWRC was collecting their nets. They had been surveying the lake.

I can tell you exactly what Tom-a-lex has a problem with..... its is the shad poorest lake I've ever been on in my life. They need to dump tons of thread fin shad in that lake for 2 or 3 seasons.....and some gizzard shad. ts not because the lake can't support it. It can. It has plenty of run off and tons of organic material in the lake to feed them. They also need to double or triple their stocking of hybrids..... along with some female bass. There are tons of little little bitty bream everywhere in that lake. They might need to have a tagged bream contest.

They also need to go back to having a full time game warden to patrol the lake and manage the catches. There are certain people that will sit at the bridge and clean the place out from time to time. Much like they have done at Old City Lake.

You can't allow people to take everything out of a lake and then refuse to have an aggressive re-stocking program. Its not rocket science. The shad kills over the last 4 or 5 years has hurt every lake. Its never about killed Tom-a-Lex and Old City Lake. I can remember driving up to Old-City lake years ago and watching thousands of shad spawning out over open water. You will not see that happening now.
When you say "Old City Lake" are you talking about Lexington City Lake just SW of ThomALex or do you mean High Point City Lake? Just curious. HPCL seems to have pretty good shad numbers to me from what I can see, but I'm guessing you mean Lexington City Lake, on which I've never even laid eyes.

I agree with you that it doesn't seem like they have managed ThomALex very well in recent years, it just seems forgotten.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fished Old City Lake yesterday evening for about 3 hours (6:30pm-9:30pm). I have always loved that place! The price is right and it's never crowded! I took my first kayak there for it's maiden voyage almost 6 years ago!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Appreciate the advise Sam. I am still learning fresh water so anything I catch is a plus. I agree about Randalman being better. But I like to go around and try as many lakes as possible for a change of scenery and fishing ideas. Gonna give it another try today hope I have something to report
If you ever want to try Old City Lake out, I'd be more than happy to meet you out there sometimes. Ramp is rough so if you're by yourself, you need a cart to avoid damaging your kayak. But 2 people can get it done without a problem. I'm off on Friday-Sunday and usually do most of my fishing later in the evenings, but can meet you out there whenever. No fees, no big boats, and it never closes! Very peaceful place. Matter of fact, I need to get the backyard mowed now so I can get a couple hours in before dark!

·
Registered
79 Posts
When you say "Old City Lake" are you talking about Lexington City Lake just SW of ThomALex or do you mean High Point City Lake? Just curious. HPCL seems to have pretty good shad numbers to me from what I can see, but I'm guessing you mean Lexington City Lake, on which I've never even laid eyes.

I agree with you that it doesn't seem like they have managed ThomALex very well in recent years, it just seems forgotten.
Lexington Old City Lake. I've fished it since I was a kid. Its filled in a lot since those days. Especially in the upper end. I can remember when they actually ran a bait shop on the lake. They have long since tore down that old building. Lexington doesn't hardly spend anything on the lake. They do mow the grass from time to time. The toilets have been trashed for years. They finally locked them up. I haven't been there in a couple months. I usually just ride by and show my son the lake. He loves being outside.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you ever want to try Old City Lake out, I'd be more than happy to meet you out there sometimes. Ramp is rough so if you're by yourself, you need a cart to avoid damaging your kayak. But 2 people can get it done without a problem. I'm off on Friday-Sunday and usually do most of my fishing later in the evenings, but can meet you out there whenever. No fees, no big boats, and it never closes! Very peaceful place. Matter of fact, I need to get the backyard mowed now so I can get a couple hours in before dark!
The lake does close. The hours of operation are 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m

https://www.lexingtonnc.net/index.aspx?page=246

At times they don't close the gate.

In my opinion, Old City Lake is just okay for bass fishing. I say okay because there just aren't the numbers there anymore. If you catch a fish, it probably won't be overly small. There might even be a trophy or two still left in the lake. There use to a be a lot of 3 and 4 pound bass in the lake. I don't think Lexington cares if you take them all or not anymore.

If you have any kids..... take a fly rod or light tackle rod down below the dam and catch a few pan fish. They are small but fun to catch. Watch out for snakes.

Its a nice place to visit just for the scenery and the country setting. I'm pretty sure my initials are carved in a tree down there along with my first "love". :)

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Out of curiosity, does Old Lexington City Lake have a ramp that I could back a trailer down for my jonboat? I've never been on it, might just go check it out sometime for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Out of curiosity, does Old Lexington City Lake have a ramp that I could back a trailer down for my jonboat? I've never been on it, might just go check it out sometime for grins and giggles.
I don't know if you can back down or not. I noticed they had removed the wood posts that blocked the old ramp. You use to have to carry the boat to the water. It still looks pretty narrow between the posts that are left. Its gravel. Don't know how it is out in the water.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts