NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I took our 30 LB trolling motor to Lake Townsend yesterday and rented one of their jon boats for some fishing.

Some of you might have noticed it was kind of windy outside. We headed out past the little break water and were promptly blown back nearly swamping against the rocks. Undaunted, we took another run and cleared the rocks and started pounding our way through the white caps into the lake.

Two large men with a small motor in that wind and waves made for a slow slog. at times, with the motor wide open, we would be blown back half the distance we had made! One would try and fish while the other tried to keep the boat from foundering against the shore. No fish action was found. We headed across to the opposite bank and almost got pinned on the lea shore but for a small break in the wind! We headed back into the cove by the marina, switched tiller helmsman, and struck back through the break. working the first two points found nothing. Back in shelter, we worked the entire perimeter of the cove with everything we had in the tackle boxes. Nothing. :mad:

It was a good trip to practice small craft handling in adverse weather, but a total bust on fishing. :p

We got dinner on the way back and had as much fun talking about the conditions as any fish story we ever told!

Being on the water is a good day, catching fish would have only made it better! :D

Peter

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I fished Townsend a couple of weeks ago. Same results, only one small bass. Very tough fishing.
When I was launching the boat I talked to a guy who lived nearby, he said he was retired and fished the lake every day. Said he had not caught a bass since back in October!!!! Best advice he could give me was to go somewhere else.

Being around fishermen all my life I knew I had either a crazy guy talking to me or he wanted to get me off his secret honey hole of a lake.

The guy was a NUT !!!!!!!

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
The wind on Thurs and Fri was blustery, and Sat was insane. Saturday I was in my jonboat with a 54lb motor on the front and a 50lb motor on the back, and at one point it took both motors on full to make any decent headway against that wind. Results on the fishing were not much better, only 4 small ones for the whole day; this is a lake I usually can do pretty well on... I think that big cold front and the wind made for a rough combo for everyone, so don't feel bad! Can't fish most of the usual spots and spend so much time fighting the wind you don't fish as much or as effectively.

30lb troller will push a jonboat in light wind, but as you discovered, it's limited when the wind really gets moving. Glad you guys took enough battery power to get you there and back, at least!

Reactions: norbvr
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.