NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went last monday and jigged the rocks. Only had two bites resulting in two 4lb bass. switched to curly tail grub and caught a many small bass up to 2lbs. Tried to find some crappie and found them. Caught dozens of them, but all were 5-7 inches. Little tykes. Does anyone have any info on good size crappie in Townsend? Just can`t seem to find them.:confused: Thanx for any info.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man you had better luck than I did, I was out last week also, the only thing I caught was a perch and it was about the size the of the minnow I was using. I have'nt fished Townsend that much 3-5 times. What I was wondering is if you go past the large power line pole in the lake how much deeper does the water get? and far does the lake go past it? I've never been that far yet. I mainly fish Branyt, killed the gills a few weeks ago enough for a big 'ol fish fry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I talked to one of the park rangers out there a couple of weeks ago about size and creel limits on crappie. She said there was none...thus the small sizes. She said biologists said to take all the crappie you wanted out of Townsend...it's overpopulated. I've never caught any slabs out there but have taken the kids and caught dozens of the size you caught. Looks like you'd run across a few good keepers though...ehhhh.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the info. I was afraid of over population. Makes it next to impossible to catch a descent size slab. But I`m heading out tomorrow to do my public duty and keep all the crappie I catch. Thin the herd and let them grow. Maybe I`ll see you out there I`ll be the one roped to the power lines. They are in there thick. I`m taking my kids so they should have fun. good fishing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also be careful back past the power lines to the right side bay. The entire bay is very shallow. Ran into a stump right in the middle of the bay last trip. The water was down two feet then. But if you can make it past the bay there are a ton of crappie at the bridge. Nice channel about 8-10 feet deep at middle of bridge. good fishing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, I haven`t been back lately. I went over to Higgins and caught baby crappie.. probably about 50 or so but all were small except for one that went about 12 inches. Where that one came from I`ll never know....but I know where that one is going. To the sizzler. It was a beautiful day to fish. But the water was pretty muddied up. Let me know how you did in Townsend and the water conditions. thanx.. keith:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.