NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Carry your ski mobil suit. If the jet stream hasn't changed by then you will need it for the ride across the ice. LOL All kidding aside that might be the best advice you get here. I'm probably the closest member to it but have never thought about fishing it. All I can tell you for sure is that there are trout streams feeding it and a trout stream leaving it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Check out this post if you want to know what I would try. http://www.ncangler.com//forums/f40/record-breaking-trout-caught-jackson-1165.html

Her husband caught a 14 lber just before she caught the 20lber. I'll add more info as the road into the area has changed since I've been in there. Duke power sold the land to the state for preservation as a park. Both Horsepasture River and Toxaway River will be accessed the same way. Both drain into Jocassee Lake which contains a few monster trout.
For directions into the area check out this site: (it seems that they used the old roads for the most part. Division of Parks and Recreation--Gorges State Park

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You may miss the spawning run alltogether but I think its worth a shot. Rock creek also gets its share of big spawners. You will want to be in the lower reaches of any of these streams to fish that late on the calendar as you will be looking for fish returning to the lake. I would use rapala countdown and floating minnows in silver/black, rainbow and brown trout. Sizes 5-9 if you see spawners and 3's and 5's if not. You probably should carry gold and black also for resident browns in case the spawners have made it back into Jocasse Lake.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its our anniv. and a friend of ours runs a resort up their and i want to fly fish and she is going to hang out with her so in a way we both win lol im just going to have fun

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I am not up on the current regulations in that area so I would suggest you check into them before you make too many plans. Plenty of trout strems in the area. I know nothing about the lake itself except that it is fairly large.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.