NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out I am starting a new job in Cerro Gordo, Columbus County. My job is about 20-30 min from lake Waccamaw, I plan on trying to find a place near the lake to live. I have spent my whole life fishing Brackish/Salt Water. 90% of that has been on the Pungo river and western Pamlico area. I dont know much about fishing for bass, catfish, and brim. I have a few basic questions for yall if you could help me out.

Will the rods I use for speckle trout and drum work just fine for this type of fishing?

Where/what should I be fishing for?
Spring:
Summer:
Fall:
Winter:

Thanks for the help, and if there is any other information you think I should know feel free to inform me!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Your inshore rods will likely be too heavy for anything there except gator. Water is acidic and infertile. You can expect to catch various sunfish, small largemouth, red-fin pickeral (jack) and white or yellow perch. Small in-line spinners work well (rooster-tails) as well as perch imitation Rapalas. Water is 6'-8' avg depth and a fish finder is virtually useless unless you can find the occasional 10' crater. And if you see gray skies coming in from the west or south, get off the water!!!

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
My inshore rods double as bass rods from time to time with no issues.

Bass fishing can be different from place to place but I highly suggest starting fishing near wood structure with a spinner bait and or a senko/stick bait. Fish main lake points with deeper water using Carolina rigs bouncing the bottom.

Vary and adapt your techniques and you will be a bass lip ripper in no time.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Your inshore rods will likely be too heavy for anything there except gator. Water is acidic and infertile. You can expect to catch various sunfish, small largemouth, red-fin pickeral (jack) and white or yellow perch. Small in-line spinners work well (rooster-tails) as well as perch imitation Rapalas. Water is 6'-8' avg depth and a fish finder is virtually useless unless you can find the occasional 10' crater. And if you see gray skies coming in from the west or south, get off the water!!!

It may be more acidic than a Piedmont lake but I have always read and heard that Waccamaw was the least acidic of any lake in southeastern nc because of some limestone on the north shore????????????

always heard of good bass, bream, crappie and an outstand white perch fishery. I have only fished it at the dam and down the river though.

added...this is from the website on the State park there.

"At Lake Waccamaw, you can view one of the greatest geological mysteries of the eastern United States--the phenomenon of Carolina bays. Limestone bluffs along the north shore neutralize Lake Waccamaw's water, making the lake different from any other Carolina Bay. Nearby, you can catch a glimpse of a botanical wonder--the Green Swamp."

Reactions: froggy waters

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Thank you mack .
Waccamaw is a jewel . People sell it short because they over sell there own abilities. The deepest parts of he lake are roughly 13/ 14 ft not very deep there are bass in the lake white perch and crappie cats and a multitude of pan fish . Lined with r
Grass my suggestion is to do some searching on Google Earth it's a clear lake for the most part . There are some logs and stumps deep if you find them . The fishing pressure is not bad . Just need to decide the best way to access your spot

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pungo, check out the article in this month's Wildlife in NC magazine on Waccamaw. Edifies what a jewel it is. Doesn't address your questions too much, but a cool read. Iterates what Mack says about the limestone neutralization. Keep us posted!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts