NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the area and live in fuquay varina. I am going to try my hand at kayak fishing and was wondering if anyone has had succuss at Lake wheeler or Harris lake?

If so what are you catching in those lakes?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Welcome BigGoat,

Those are two lakes that I haven't fished much at all. Never on Wheeler, only once on Harris since I started kayaking last year, but I had fished a few times in the past from powerboats. I found Harris to be a little unfriendly for kayak fishing as the Holleman's ramp is a pretty long paddle from what I am familiar with as top fishing areas (longer creek arms with the weeds). Maybe the Merry Oaks ramp (??? Is that the name? somewhere near the dam off 42 - never been there) provides more convenient access, or maybe there's somewhere more primitive you can launch from to get closer to good cover. The day I was there I scratched out 2 crankbait fish on my paddle back to the ramp - a cat and a white perch. I live north of Falls Lake, so its hard for me to spend that much more time driving to lake fish. If I could find better access to the weedy areas at Harris I might head down there more often.

A number of us from the board have been down to the Cape Fear near Moncure - above and below the Buckhorn dam. That should also be pretty convenient from Fuquay. With the river running so slowly right now its very fishable below the dam. Lots of shallow rocky water down there and plenty easy to paddle down and back up stream from the launch off Buckhorn rd. We've caught mostly small bass down there with some reports of gar. Rumors of stripers & hybrids abound, but mostly unsubstantiated. Above Buckhorn dam is a little more lake-like - deeper & slower and a little more traditional bass fishing water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lake Wheeler is a kayak friendly lake, in fact on certain mornings (Saturday's from open till 11 a.m.) they have no wake hours. Lake Wheeler is good for catching bass, catfish, panfish and crappie. It is a small lake but doesn't get as much pressure as Harris lake. The largest bass I've caught in NC was out of Lake Wheeler @ around 7lbs.

Harris lake is larger and you'll either love it or hate. When I fish on Harris lake 8 times out of 10 I do not catch anything but the 2 times I do catch something its usually bass and they are large. Harris has a lot of grass to where Wheeler is a soft to rocky bottom with a lot of structure.

I would try both as time permits.

Tight Lines!

R. Duke

·
Registered
171 Posts
I second cptduke's statement. I have fished more at Wheeler than Harris and love both lakes. I would agree that Wheeler would be more kayak friendly than Harris definetely. As a matter of fact we, basspack, are having a tournament there this weekend if I recall correctly. We hold many tournament's their because of it's location and ability to rent boats if needed. It can be just like anywhere else, right time, right place, right bait. Try it out and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lake Wheeler offers good fishing from a 'yak. If you paddle to the end of the lake beyond the Penny Road bridge, there is plenty of structure for bass and bream.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A number of us from the board have been down to the Cape Fear near Moncure - above and below the Buckhorn dam. That should also be pretty convenient from Fuquay. With the river running so slowly right now its very fishable below the dam. Lots of shallow rocky water down there and plenty easy to paddle down and back up stream from the launch off Buckhorn rd. We've caught mostly small bass down there with some reports of gar. Rumors of stripers & hybrids abound, but mostly unsubstantiated.

Jeff ... they are now .... see ... http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f33/cape-fear-buckhorn-dam-stripers-9031.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.