NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know people that do. I fish for bass and like catching them too much to keep any to eat.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Seeing how Wheeler is the backup reservoir for Raleigh drinking water I would assume it is safe!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seeing how Wheeler is the backup reservoir for Raleigh drinking water I would assume it is safe!
I wouldn't assume that - Falls Lake is the main source of water for Raleigh and it's one of the most polluted lakes in the state (according to a couple of stories in the paper over the past year or so).

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
i wouldnt assume that either....remember they treat it...the fish cant do that plus swift creek drains bigparts of cary and apex.....lots of lawn chemicals going down there this time of year........water that drains off my yard goes in there...........mack

·
Registered
120 Posts
The best thing you can do is educate yourself about Wheeler and its pollution, then decide for yourself.
Not all pollution is created equal. There are 3 types of pollution in North Carolina: silt, nutrients, and chemicals. Only chemicals can harm you if you eat them. Silt and nutrients are the most common types of pollution. Nutrients are usually fertilizer from lawns or fecal matter from livestock or waste water treatment plants. Unsavory, to be sure! But not necessarily dangerous.

The Division of Water Quality has a team of biologists who go to streams across the state to check water quality. The method they usually employ is to catch insect larvae in the water and tally the diversity of species and the presence/absence of certain species that are either tolerant or intolerant of pollution. If a body of water has a bunch of larvae that are intolerant of pollution the water is considered clean. To a lesser extent they sample fish species in the same manner.
For example, green sunfish are very tolerant of siltation, so if there are a bunch of greenies in a stream without many other species, they know silt is a problem in that stream. The stream would probably be listed as “impaired water” but you could still catch and eat the green sunfish with no worries.
Chemicals like PCBs and mercury can cause health problems. Even with these, there is debate as to how much is safe to consume, but obviously, less is better!

Here is a link to fish consumption advisories from the WRC webpage: Current Fish Consumption Advice and Advisories in North Carolina It doesn't mention Wheeler.

Here is a link to the DENR page containing a list of all category 5 impaired waters for which Max Daily Loads have been established.: NCDENR - mtu/assessment
Click on 2010 Draft 303(d) list.

For me, the short answer is yes, I'd eat fish from Wheeler.
Bon Apatite!
Chip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts