NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a quick peek at NCWildlife.org, and I found that there's a Public Fishing Area in one of the parks off NC 49, but I was curious whether there's a line across the lake across which one would require an SC fishing license... Since NCWildlife is closed for the weekend, does anyone here know the story offhand?

My son wants to go camping for his birthday, and one of the spots on the candidate list is the KOA in Ft. Mill SC. I can probably come back across to the NC side of the line to fish, but I just wanted to learn "the REST of the story..."

·
Registered
70 Posts
I checked into it a while back, when I was considering taking a trip down there to try the lake. From what I can tell there is no either/or on the license. Everyone I spoke with said I needed a SC license. Better safe than sorry, I'd get the SC license. If you find out anything different please let us know.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Lefty, I Don't think you will have a problem. There is a line and it should be marked . That being said they do have a 'you are here and you have the equipment mentality'. Temporary license cost for 2 people would be small and would allow you to fish the lower part of the lake. I suspect that, with the water levels being so far down, the lower part is probably where most of the fish will be. I'd suggest buying the license and using it. Pick you up a copy of the reg.s while you are getting them because 'Down Here' we have strict regulations on our "Branch Trout". You have to know the slot limit and the proper measuring techniques.;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
From the NC Wildlife site on Reciprocal Licenses (note the bottom line, nothing between NC and SC).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reciprocal agreements between North Carolina and the states of Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia provide for the honoring of all state-wide hook and line fishing licenses obtainable from either of the respective states on certain boundary waters as follows: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Georgia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](1) The agreement with Georgia covers fishing from boats on Chatuge Reservoir including all tributaries that are accessible by boat from the main body of the reservoir.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tennessee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](2) The Tennessee agreement covers the state line portion of Slick Rock Creek and boat fishing on Calderwood Reservoir.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Virginia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](3) The Virginia agreement covers the Dan River east of the Brantly Steam Plant Dam, the Staunton River east of the Rt. 360 bridge, and Kerr and Gaston reservoirs and their tributaries which are accessible by boat. The Rt. 360 bridge is the first bridge crossing the Staunton River upstream of Kerr Reservoir. The agreement also covers that portion of the New River between the confluence of the North and South forks of the New River in North Carolina (Alleghany Co.) and the confluence of the New and Little rivers in Virginia (Grayson Co.).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are no reciprocal agreements between North Carolina and South Carolina that provide for the honoring of the other state's fishing licenses on any boundary waters.[/FONT]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, interesting suggestion... in light of the birthday (he'll be 9) we gave the KOA's bells and whistles (sub shop, playground, etc) a little additional credit... I'll take a look at Cane Creek and see where I can get it onto the list...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lake Wylie is divided and is not marked on the water. So, if you are using a boat, you either need both licenses or a GPS plotter that shows the border.

If you fish in NC you need an NC license. If you fish in SC you need an SC license. There is no reciprocity between the states and the SC guys like to give tickets.

That being said I tried to launch on Saturday and the ramps I know of (2 in NC, 1 in SC) are all closed due to low water

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
There's a KOA about 15 minutes from Rhodes Pond. The KOA is on 301 outside of fayetteville (Wade exit I believe on I95) and the pond is a short ride up 301N.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
it really depends on which launch you use.. belive it or not.. if you use the hwy 49 launch nc lisence covers.if you launch out at an sc ramp and you had better have an sc lisence..it matters lil were you fish on the lake the only thing that really matters is were you launch from..

zooker

·
Registered
57 Posts
I disagree with you Zooker. It matters where you get checked, not where you launch.

If you launch in NC and are fishing in SC and the SC Man checks you, you better have an SC license.

I have friends who have received tickets from the SC Fish cop for not having a license even though they did exactly as you described.

Same situation applies in Saltwater, it matters where you are when you get checked. If you launch in Ocean Isle and come in through Little River inlet, you better have an SC fishing license.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the tips.

I'm not going to be taking my kayak with me -- I'll be bank-bound -- so that part won't matter much in this case. And my wife has some business in south Charlotte to which she needs to attend, so moving the blessed event too far would be a show-stopper as well, in this case.

I think the most-helpful info was that on reciprocal licensing, for which there is no coverage on Wylie, so that becomes a non-issue. It'll be a matter of which state's dirt is under my boots... and it sounds like the NC side of the line would be a short enough drive, even if I decided not to spring for a SC license.

Thanks for the tips!
Lefty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.