NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience landing fish from a yak? Recent events leads me to believe I need to change my methods. Worked hard for 5 hours fishing a mirrolure and a storm shrimp, had a really nice trout on 25-27 inches tried to get it in the net but it ran under and I had to drop the net the get her back, went to reach the net again and flipped the yak, ended up with a broken rod and a lost trout after touching it multiple times. I have a 2015 ocean kayak big game 2. I stand in it all the time when I fish (can't fish sitting down). Anyone know a good method to get em in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always try to wear out any fish as much as possible before landing anything of size, they may come in easy but once they see the kayak fish tend to get a second burst of energy. Id say just take your time, I have seen lots of flipped kayaks due to not being patient. Flip a kayak trying to punch through breakers, instead of waiting for a good lull between sets and your gonna break a rod or two and ruin your trip. Id say be glad its summer, not fun flipping in January I'd imagine. I think the best method is not muscling them in and make sure they are gassed so you dont have a wild trout/red/spanish thrashing through your kayak.

·
Registered
940 Posts
larger fish can be lifted by use of lip grips and a leg out of the boat. There are times were this might not be the best choice however, sharks.. In this case.. lip grips and a short handled gaff to give leverage without leaning out of the yak. The Hawaiian gaff works too. anything under 30" or so netting is easier..just get their head in the net.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRsuAsB738I

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another good tip is to keep your head lined up with the center of the kayak. Your weight tends follow your head. Time in the seat to learn your kayak is also a plus. I was in pitching seas last weekend with a cownose ray operating to retrieve my yozuri from its face. Remember, you are an entire boat crew on a kayak. You are the angler, captain, and mate. You need to move that kayak as best as possible during the fight and you need to have your landing gear (net, fish grips, gaff, etc.)at the ready. Good luck out there, hope you had your pfd on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.