NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what size in NC do largemouth bass have to be when they can spawn for the first time?

I'm assuming 12 or 14 inches because that seems to be what the size limits are

(12 inches West, 14 inches East)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Good question!! Look forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Not sure about the size of the female but the bucks are usually a lot smaller than the female. The 12-14 inch fish around the nest are males. The big fish that are caught from the beds are the females.

tight lines<*)))))>{

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is a little information on the NC LMB:
Largemouth bass in the South
will usually spawn when 1 year
old, if they are at least 10 inches
long. Males select a nest site in
the spring after the water temperature
has stabilized above 60​
o F.
Bass normally spawn at temperatures
of 65 to 75
oF in water
depths of 1 to 4 feet near shore,
but nesting has been observed as

deep as 20 feet in clear water.

Hope this helps you with the question.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Great info. I'm starting to see why i've been catching fish shallow still.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Size limits are set so we get quality size fish to go after. If we had no limits then we have no quality fish.
There are good reasons for fishing laws. All are intended to conserve and improve fish populations. Fisheries biologists study bodies of water to check on fish numbers and the health of fish populations. If there is a problem with a fish stock, regulations are created to help keep the fish population healthy. Marine Patrol officers check to make sure that fishing regulations are being obeyed.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
12" is the size limit on spotted bass and small mouth.. 14" seems to cover most lakes.. thou harris has that blasted 14-16 and over 20" man how i loath the slot limit..last i knew some lakes like harris, jordan,reese,thom a lex,and jordan are not 14" limits..

zooker

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Harris is a trophy lake and lots of fish over 8 pounds are caught there every year.

In the early years of Sheron Harris is was nothing to go and cast a spinnerbait and catch 100 bass a day. Only thing is they were 10-12 inches. They seemed to stay from 12-14 for several years and then all of a sudden they took off.

Its is nothing to see schools of several hundred bass attach shad in the middle of the lake at high noon. Quick cast with Rebel Pop Rs raked across the top of the water will draw vicious strikes from them. Most of the fish in the school will be the same size.

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.