NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who fish the Tuck...

A buddy of mine was up there Friday (5/3), Pat Mawhinney, this is the guy that wrote THE book on the Tuck (Instant Help for Georgia Anglers!) and reported to me that the last DH stockings were happening now. Apparently this is one of the largest ones, and with some of the largest fish and they prepare to end the season. He spoke to one of the rangers and mentioned that there were a larger than usual amout of browns going in. Will make for some good fishing this week (of course it's pretty much always good anyway).

Just passing this along...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the info asago, The tuck does fish good during the DH season. Wouldn't you think they would put the big stock in at the first of the season? I think this proves that N.C.W.R.C caters to bubba, when they put the big stocking in just before the end of the DH season. Get out there and enjoy um before they are gone on june the 3rd they will be making a big sucking noise leaving the river.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. never thought of it that way. Regardless, I think the N.C. DNR does an EXCELLENT job in managing these streams. While there certainly is good fishing on my local water, I certainly do love all the options available across the border. There's nothing like a big aggressive brookie! Won't find that in Georgia.... at least not often... Our DH ends in 7 days - you guys got another 3 weeks after that. Of course, we do have the great striper runs down here... grass is always greener I guess :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Asago, wait to you fish Snowbird and Slickrock, the corn cans and worm cups along the wild trout streams might change your thinking! I've guided on the nantahala river for the last 8 years and The only time I've seen a game warden is last year when I called Raleigh to complain about the lack of enforcement on our wild trout streams. The following morning I had three wildlife officers standing on my door steps, they came out to check my guide license and boy were they ticked off when they found out I had one!

I like the regulations on Ga. catch and release streams. Barbless only and a $50 fine for each barbed hook. The best part is you usually see game wardens. I've never had my license checked on a trout stream in western N.C and I spend around 250 days a year on them :mad:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have been checked every year at Nantahala. One year they had a creel survey. Counted your fish, species, and wrote it down. Blocked the road and if you were caught later you better not be over your limit. You should have seen the look on their face when my buddy and I told them we each had one fish.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Crummy, they do patrol the Nanny on opening day of hatchery supported season and on the stocking days on the hatchery supported section of Snowbird. It's the DH season you don't see um. The area poachers know this and take full advantage of it! If they don't restock the nanny and you come up here you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We have the same problem here. I have DH sections all around me close by. I just prefer the Nantahala. I've been going since the DH started. How long is that? 12 years?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.