NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to fish 4 evening straight last week! On wed. me and two friends hit lake Gaston for some good catfishing. On Thursday, me and one of the same guys hit Gaston again for some white perch. Caught 12. Friday, my wife and I went pond fishing while my two buddies went after the white perch again. The pond was mediocre, but my friends caught 16 white perch. Saturday brought us all together on a farm pond. Between 5 of use, we caught 106 NICE bream in 2.5 hours! What a blast!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Man!! That's a good week!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
man...ya'll got your money's worth out of them worms. Let's see...2.50 a container...25 fish in that....a dime a fish...great value..:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
man...ya'll got your money's worth out of them worms. Let's see...2.50 a container...25 fish in that....a dime a fish...great value..:D
Not to mention if you thread 'em on and set the hook quick you can catch 2 or 3 on one worm!! Thats alot cheaper per pound than a day trolling for Kings!!! LOL

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We used mostly crickets and a few worms....We must accomodate the women-folk. My wife likes crickets but would really rather not mess with worms. My friends wife hates crickets but has no problem with worms...go figure...ooops, sorry, I forgot we're talking about women...ain't no figuring them out! Anyway, the guy I get my crickets from always gives us a VERY generous "tube" full of crickets.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've always said, if all else fails, try a cricket. If they won't bite a cricket.. GO HOME!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Muddy Water,

I am still a newbie to NC. I have lived in Mooresville for just over a year now. I would love some tips about farm pond fishing. I love to catch brim and want to tangle with some of the bigger fish down here. I just purchased a 18' i/o for family fun and fishing here on Norman, but want to get away from the crazy boater crowds if I can for some Brim. Any help here would be appreciated, but if not, I understand. PS If it helps, I will be bringing my 8 yr old and her friend with me if the situation would permit me that.

Thanks
Mike

PSS, I just checked where Henderson NC is, WOW, that might be a long drive for me. But, you never know if a camping trip is in the offing?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's about a 3 hour trip. I'm originally from Charlotte and my dad used to take me on Lake Norman up until the same age as your daughter. I've not been on that lake since. I bet a lot has changed. (i.e. "crowds" you spoke of). If the farm pond we fished in belonged to me, you would be more than welcome to come wet a line. It's my dream to one day have such a pond, but for now I am dependent upon the generosity of those that do, after begging permission.

Your best bet is probably to do like I do up here. Drive out into the country and locate several farm ponds or locate them on topo maps. Then simply introduce yourself and ask the owners for permission. (But don't come with fishing pole in hand. Get permission first and come back later) It helps to tell them you want to take your daughter fishing. If you get permission, be sure to ask them about any "rules" on their pond and property. Clean up any trash around the pond, even if it's not yours. Offer them some of the fish. Most will let you keep them. Most importantly, let the land owner know how many people will be accompaning you and make sure those people know they are only welcome at YOUR pleasure. I've had pretty good success with this technique.

Our usual setup is crickets (or worms) on #6 hook, small split shot and a bobber.
Good Luck,
Barry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Barry. Your techniques are solid and morally sound. The hardest part is getting past all the indescretions of anglers of the past. I will be sure to get some pictures up of any fishing we do get in.

Take Care
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.