NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a late report but I had a fun trip with a colleague of mine on the New River last weekend on Saturday. The weather man had predicted that we would have showers all day with winds from the west at 15-20 mph. On arrival around 0730 the sun was out with few clouds overhead and winds only around 5-10mph. Our first spot was off in a mouth of a deep channeled creak, depth around 9-15 feet, and the trout were slapping the water all around us. There were small clouds of boiling water around us, I presume glass minnows is what the trout where after...maybe not. My colleague first started throwing a pink shrimp plug and I tried a spook, but we couldn't buy a bite. So I switched tactics and went back to what I know from home and put a on popping cork with a pink shrimp about at about 2 foot depth. After I cast and gave a little pop, WHAM! 1st fish on, next cast, 2nd fish! I hurried and put a cork on my friends setup and we both got after them right away. We caught about 6 off the back with the fish ranging from 13-18 inches. We cont. to move out of the creak into the flats chasing the fish but the tide was slowly coming to a stop. Our first few fish we had thrown back, for whatever reason I was thinking the size limit on trout had to be 16 inches. Then I called friend and told me the actual size limit, after that I slapped my self for throwing keeper fish back. Once the tide came to a stand still we drifted with the wind out into the flats of this bay picking up a fish about every 10-15 minutes. I managed to pick up a nice 22 inch fish at random, then we hooked up with two more monsters that got off at the boat. Once the bite had stopped we tried some bottom fishing at the edge of a deep channel at a bridge where Ricky Kellum had a trip going but he left soon after we got there. At the time I only assumed that their bite had slowed as well. After fighting pin fish with fresh shrimp we went back to our first spot as the tide was rising. We managed to pick up a few more fish but by that time it was time for me to make my treck back to Fayetteville. We ended up catching 15 keepers, only 8 made it in the cooler do to lack of knowledge on size limits. From what I herd not many other people caught very many fish. I herd Ricky Kellum and his crew of 4 managed to pick up 20 or so in the early morning. All in all not a bad day. Look forward to next few weeks when the wife leaves town and I can really get after them!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Speckreck, just wondering if you were on the upper part of the NEw River towards Jacksonville or down around sneads ferry and the 172 bridge? Ive been on vacation for 3 weeks and just got back. IM in need of some good fishin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I got to the New River I fish both the upper near Jacksonville and south near Sneeds F. I can't tell you the exact spot, I've sworne not to tell!! But if you ever want to go on a trip with me I'll be more then happy to have company. I might go tomarrow and the next day, send me message somtime if you ever want to get after them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.