NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New here. Just found this great forum. Also fairly new to NC. Moved here from Portland OR about 2 yrs ago. Havn't done much fishing since I got to NC but plan on changing that. Didnt have a boat as I sold mine before the move and too much else going on settling in.

I also just picked up this past week 2 of the Hobie mirage kayaks so hope to put them to lots of use fishing this awesome state.

So on to my question.
I've got a good fishing buddy coming in for a week from portland the last week of april. Thinking we will hit the salt and estuaries as he has never had a good old southern swampy experience.... (I used to live in SC long ago so have done some black water playin). Anyway, neither of us has much experience in the saltwater or tidewater fishing. Been researching like crazy to try to come up to speed and learn something before the trip.

Looking at 2 different areas primarily. Not sure which to pick for this trip. Either Hidden lake up by columbia NC. or Bear Island. I saw the bear island thread... actually that is how I found this forum. Anyway, from what I can tell bear island looks like more small channel estuary fishing with a few open water stretches..... and maybe a chance to largemouth fish further up the oak river. Up by Hidden lake the bay looks like big open water to me.

Any suggestions or comments on the 2 choices? Am I pretty close in my eval? Think one place will be better fishing than another? Anybody fish both these areas?

Oh one last thing.... my buddy REALLY, REALLY wants to run across some alligator... think he wants to rassal one :p... cant wait to see that...

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
wade

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to NC Angler!

Can 't tell you a thing about Hidden Lake but Bear Island has some great fishing. Lots of marsh creeks, sand flats and then the ICW and a few other deeper channels. You have to get way up in the White Oak river (around Stella) before you'll see much bass action. But once you get a hold of a red drum, you'll probably forget about those fresh water bass anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool Chickens work huh... that might even get him a shark as well...

There is the alligator chummer above. Glad you could join this thread mark!

So, do the gaters come down into the estuaries into the salt? Will Oregon Chummer be able to catch one in the Bear Island area?

He is hoping to hook up on his flyrod... either alligator or drum. I will be taking a flyrod along as well tho I will stay way from the gators...

Any suggestions on flys for late april?

Topsail - thanks for the tip on the largemouths. I would guess you're correct. we will play lower down in the salt and prob forget all about fishing fresh.

N2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.