NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was wednesday June the 4th around 4PM and I decided to load up the yak and take off to one of my favorite local creeks and fish for some black Drum. I arrived around 5PM and with a few throws of my cast net I had a few dozen live shrimp in the net bag and took off for my favorite set of pylons.

I was fishing with a Penn Battle 6000 spooled with 40lb power pro baid and had custom made a two hook bottom rig using 180# mono, gamakatsu #1 MUTU Circle hooks and a 4oz pyramid sinker to keep it on the bottom.

Hooked the live shrimp though their tail sideways and prepared to feed lots and lots of pinfish. Much to my surprise, I stopped at one pylon and felt a sudden thump only seconds after dropping to the bottom. Then I realized I could no longer feel my weight on the other end of the line and the line was moving away slowly (ominously).......OHHHHH BOYYY. ITS ON!!! Got braced in the yak nice and tight and held on with all I had in me. Had The battle 6000 locked down completely and the beast still tore 20 feet of line off before he ever slowed down. That was a heart-stopping experience if I've ever lived though one.

At any rate, the drum are here and eating live shrimp fished tight to the pylons. This one was in 9ft of water.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Awesome catch. I have been catching black drum near the Sunset Beach bridge but nothing close to that size. Any idea what that fished weighed in at?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Super Kool... Big Ugly....
And extra credit on a Yak.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome catch. I have been catching black drum near the Sunset Beach bridge but nothing close to that size. Any idea what that fished weighed in at?
I have no idea what he weighed as I do not carry a scale on me. I just know he was 27 inches and therefore, too big to keep so I got a quick picture and turned him loose. If I had to guess from the black drum I've seen caught at the pier he was somewhere between 10 and 12 pounds but thats just a rough guess.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I have no idea what he weighed as I do not carry a scale on me. I just know he was 27 inches and therefore, too big to keep so I got a quick picture and turned him loose. If I had to guess from the black drum I've seen caught at the pier he was somewhere between 10 and 12 pounds but thats just a rough guess.
The few we have managed to catch were 1-1.5 pounds

·
Registered
279 Posts
Those are the better eaten size anyway pgarick!! Between a pound and three pounds is where its at, for some good fish sandwiches.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, just not been able to catch more than 2-3, it's difficult to feed a family of five :)
I can see how that would be hard. I actually haven't caught a single black drum in the slot all year. From 15 - 25 inches seems to be a hard spot to hit. Caught a whole bunch right around 12'' and the one big boy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice fish! I have only caught one black drum since I have been up here.
Oh don't make any mistake, I chased that fish for a week straight putting in about 7 - 10 hours a day and using up all my vacation time. It made for a good end to a lot of hard fishing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"One black drum per person per day over 25” TL is allowed."
Yea I found this out after the fact. Either way, I got a lot of satisfaction in releasing that fish. Also, I think it brought me good karma. I got a 28.5 inch speckled trout yesterday!! It's been a successful year for me in the way of trophy fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts