NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all around leader setup would work the best? I will be using a spinning reel on a 7 foot rod in the surf, inlets, and flats casting plugs, spoons, and soft plastic lures.

thanks, mikemad

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mike, generally I use 30 lb mono for spanish and blues. Sometimes 20 and sometimes 30 for false albacore depending on the abundance of spanish. If they are running on the small side I skip the leader. For flounder 20 lb is fine but if I have good baits in the 4"-6'' range I generally use 30 with a 2/0 - 4/0 khale hook. For reds and trout with lures no leader, but with live bait I use 20 lb. Med blues (2-6lbs) coated 30 lb multistrand wire and #5-#7 singlestrand for big blues. A good all around live bait leader for sound fishing is a 1/2 oz egg sinker above a black #7 barrel swivel tied to 18" of 20 lb mono and a hook (type and size dictated by bait size and expected quarry). This is a basic carolina rig. You can play with beads and spinners but in my opinion they are a unnecessary inconvenience. Some people swear by them especially for flounder, but you can do very well with the basic rig. For surf fishing 2 hook rigs and fish finder rigs are the most popular dead bait rigs. This is what I use but everything is subject to change as conditions dictate. Remember that you can get by with a heavier leader in rough dirty water but as water gets clearer, you need to go lighter. Hope this helps . AL

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
20-30 lb. Ande back country (blue for offhsore or Envy green) for nearshore/inshore. It's good stuff and we use it all the time, though we have switched a couple rigs over to Suffix line for topshotting over the Ande line.

One of the local shops here, AK Mc Callums has had great reports coming back to them from folks using the Back Country Ande and the folks at Economy Tackle in Sarasota Fla are sayin the same as well, Economy folks talked me into buyin some of the Suffix stuff, so far no complaints with it either.

In my opinion, Trilene and Berkly stuff doesnt hold up as good or as long as Ande.

For steel leader, Surflon knotable leader (ties just like mono) is excellent, we use it alot as well.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is what I use for leaders

Casting 5 - 10 feet 20# test flurocarbon tied to main line using albright knot.

Drifting for flounder 2 - 3 feet 20# Berkley Big Game or flurocarbon.

Trolling for spanish 30 feet 20# Berkley Big Game.

Trolling for kings 30 feet 30# or 50# Berkley Big Game

Trolling for offshore species 30 feet 150 to 200 # flurocarbon or 10 feet #9 wire.

Trolling for bluefin tuna 30 feet 300# flurocarbon.

Live bait for Kings 3 feet #4 wire.

Bottom fishing for black bass/groupers 80# Berkley Big Game

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.