NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up. Anybody ever have any experience or knowledge about leaving their vehicle over night at Buckhorn dam off Hwy 42. Doing an overnight float down the Cape Fear in a few weeks; if the rain stay at bay.

· Registered
3,474 Posts
i wouldnt leave it if it is a nice truck and /or has nice cb and stero equipment in it, leave nothing in it and the doors unlocked and u will be ok,,,,otherwise buckhorn and the ramp up at 42 have had alot of breakins........Mack

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Yeah, the problem with the avent ferry ramp and buckhorn access is they are off the beaten path, unlit but everyone knows about them and know vehicles get left there.
I never had a problem leaving my work truck there but would never leave my nice F-350 there. Definitely have a car alarm that makes noise and light because when one of those goes off, people notice and check it out.

Overall, I have never had an issue myself and I know no one who has been broken into....

If you let me know when you are doing this trip, I can go and check on your truck for you. I live like 10 minutes from there. Let me know man. Hate to think of a fellow fishermen not being able to do a float trip because he is worried about dirt bags!

· Registered
5,593 Posts
That ramp always leaves me with an uneasy feeling. I fished there on a Monday in the fall in the 2005 or 2006. I came back to find muddy boot prints in the back of my truck and hand prints all over the sliding rear glass. I am not sure if they got in but it looks like someone tried it. A buddy of mine also came back once to find some guys in a Jeep looking his truck over, as soon as they noticed he was there, they jump in the jeep and split.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I usually park at Buckhorn and fish in daylight hours, with one exception paddling back in the dark. I've never had any trouble, but based on what I've heard, I would try to avoid leaving your vehicle overnight.

As Riverpirate states, having a friend drop your truck at the get out is the best plan.

· Registered
954 Posts
My BIL got his drivers side window busted out at that boat ramp a couple years ago at night while we were catfishing. I would not leave my truck there after that. They stole a red ryder, a cheap tasco, a case to a lynard skynard cd (not the cd itself :p), a can of sardines, and my buddys keys.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HAHA!! If only I knew where to get a couple rattlers. Thanks for all the insight. 204Angler that's an awesome offer, I really appreciate it. However I convinced my sweet misses to be the shuttle driver.
Maybe I could install a set of flame throwers. MUUHH MUHAHAHAHAH
[video=youtube;fDrzMGdYWZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc[/video]

· Registered
2,852 Posts
My BIL got his drivers side window busted out at that boat ramp a couple years ago at night while we were catfishing. I would not leave my truck there after that. They stole a red ryder, a cheap tasco, a case to a lynard skynard cd (not the cd itself :p), a can of sardines, and my buddys keys.
That's one reason I have all but quit fresh water fishing. Everywhere I want to fish or places that are convenient things like this are going on.
I just go to the coast now. Let the idiots have it.

Had a game warden on the Cape Fear pull up to my boat one night and check me out. Asked me if I had a gun with me. I said of course. He told me he would have advised me to leave if I didn't have one.

I don't need that crap. Not worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts