NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to be home by 12:30 to relieve my wife for her afternoon plans. I wanted to try a section I've scouted, but never fished. It's 1.5 hrs from my house, so I wouldn't have much time to fish.

I'd heard there were crappie in this section. Last night I loaded a small cooler with ice, rigged up my lighter spinning gear, grabbed one baitcaster, tossed the small jigs in my box, and loaded the car.

I woke up before the 4:30 alarm, I assume due to the anticipation of new water. I popped in my contacts, grabbed my keys and breakfast and slipped out the door.

The moonlight was low and it was a cloudy morning. Around 5:45 I pulled into the gravel lot and parked under a street light. The dark surroundings of the parking area were a little creepy. I unloaded my canoe and gear by the riverbank, turned on my head lamp, and pushed off upstream toward the first set of rocks. I paddled/drug/walked upstream about a half-mile before daybreak. At first light, I started throwing a spook in flatwater near laydowns. My second cast gets blasted by a largemouth. It's the only bass I'd see for the next 2 hours. The next mile, I'm trolling a jig and tossing a bettlespin, trying to catch a crappie in the flatwater. I can't buy a bite from the target species. I do land a few sunnies and soon go back to bass fishing.

As I approach my target area for the morning, I switch the lure on my baitcaster to a small sebile swimbait. On the first cast, I catch a small bass. 2nd cast in the same hole, another bass. I proceeded to land 8 out of this one hole before moving on. Most of the bass were small and fat, like these ...

I work my way upstream in the shallow water and I'm catching a bass on nearly every cast or every other cast, but they're all fairly short. I switched to a larger sebile magic swimmer to try and entice the larger fish. Same results, lots of hungry fish, but nothing too big.

I find one pool below a rapid and catch at least 25 standing in one place. It was nuts. This area produced my best fish. I think this was number 21 or 22 from this spot ...

I turn around at ~10 am to head back. The catching continues on my return and then my 10:15 alarm goes off. I still have at least 1 mile to go, so I had to boogie and the leave them biting.

I only caught one small crappie, but that's ok ... the 40+ bass will do ;)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Did someone tell you it was a good crappie spot?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It started to get a little ridiculous. I began throwing to "unattractive" areas just to see if I could avoid a strike, which I couldn't.

In the best hole, I think I could have caught them on a shred of dish rag.

I do appreciate how rare this is. This is only my second time seeing so many in one short stretch. I was once skeptical about claims of 50+ bass days on these piedmont flows ... but it's definitely real!

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
well they might be getting more active I got 5 on topwater in just an hour tonight. I almost hung around longer since I landed two and missed 3 of the last 5 casts but darkness was upon me and the spot is too tight when it gets real dark

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
703 Posts
It started to get a little ridiculous. I began throwing to "unattractive" areas just to see if I could avoid a strike, which I couldn't.

In the best hole, I think I could have caught them on a shred of dish rag.

I do appreciate how rare this is. This is only my second time seeing so many in one short stretch. I was once skeptical about claims of 50+ bass days on these piedmont flows ... but it's definitely real!

-Jeff
Last week, someone described your fishing style as "efficient". Sounds like a serious understatement.

Jim

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim,
That doesn't surprise me at all. I like to make the most of my free time.

I have a hard time throwing a plastic worm or jig due to the speed, much less at the same lay down more than once. I get impatient.

When I have all day, I take my time, but those days are few and far between.

-Jeff

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
If I never threw twice at the same laydown, I'd never have caught any of the 4lb+ fish I caught this year. A good laydown takes a good 10 to 15 minutes to pick apart for me. But then I am not a river fisherman.

Sounds like a good day on the water, congrats

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
2 nothings will get me moving from a laydown on a river. Cast and retrieve twice without a strike and I move on. River fish are so much more aggressive that if they are there they will go after it!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Good Day,

I haven't done much river bass fishing, except for the upper part of Hickory. It is still when the wheels aren't running but has a good flow when they are making power. I am a T-Rig plastics fisherman most of the time but I would start throwing a crank, or spinnerbait as soon as they started a flow. I found that another good bait when the water was moving was a weightless st. tailed worm rigged weedless. If you got it in the laydown just right you could float it out the other side with pretty much a slack line. Ir also seemed that as soon as the water started moving bass that weren't hitting would get more active.

NEVER anything like 40 in a morning though Congratuations.

Darrell

·
Registered
696 Posts
FW, congrats on an EPIC day of fishing!

Dude, if you had fished all day it would have been...well, I don't have the words for that.

Ya know, I don't know why but at times, river bass just throw a block party and it's like for no known reason you can stay in one place and catch double digit numbers. Did it on smallies earlier this year. Moved 20 ft while catching over 10 on every other cast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts