NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of fishing with Lefty and his friend Kurt yesterday on my boat. We fished some of my favorite areas off the ICW. As you know, Lefty is famous for his "sticking catching capbilities and still holds the NCAngler All Tackle record for a stick. When we were planning this trip, I was confident I could move Lefty up a notch or two by teaching him how to catch oyster rocks, sponges and the such.

Sure enough, Lefty caught right on and brought quite a few nice rocks to the boat. As you can see below he even managed to catch a small Lizard fish and a marsh stick!

His friend Kurt caught a baby cobia, an undersize flounder and a keeper gray trout. He also brought two keeper size flounders near enough to the boat to see but not to the net. I swear one was doormat size.

For me, well I was skunked but I did teach a few knots, help with some line tangles, bait a few hooks and the such to keep me from being too bored ;)

All fish, oyster rocks, sponges and sticks were caught on Gulp! baits fished on a jig head.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i told ya he would keep on trying till he caught a stick fish..

lefty your the only person i know that could be 300 miles of shore and still catch a stick fish..:D

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Not sure if I can claim a "trash slam" or not -- I caught several oyster rocks, hauled up an anchor full of mud (TA wouldn't bring the net so I let the mud go) -- and thought I had a keeper stick but it turned out to be grass.

Most of all, though, I enjoyed the sun, fresh air, and company. It was a great time. Got to see some beautiful scenery -- that's a wonderful piece of Creation down there, even with all the development going on...

TA, thanks very much for your hospitality! One of these days all this learning I've been doing will start to work... some of us have a longer way to go than others.

Lefty

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It appears that you guys had a blast-- thats what fishing is all about for me. If it should ever get too serious I would have to quit.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hope I'm in the neighborhood for your yard sale... Wow...

:eek:
lefty---No yard sales--Owning loads of equipment is very serious -- using it to catch fish, sticks, rocks, oyster shells, loons, seagulls, hook fellow fishermen, etc--not too serious.:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Only one, and it broke right at the jig head. That was another learning experience for the day, my first outing using braided line. That's pretty amazing stuff! Easy to notice the lack of stretch, especially when you're wrestling with an oyster bed!
Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Lefty - tonight I went back to that creek were Kurt had the "doormat" on the hook. Just had to go back and give it another shot. The tide was right so I headed back and anchored up near those oyster rocks. After catching at least 4 or 5 oysters and sponges, I landed 2 nice 16" flounder. No doormat, but at least put some meat in the fridge.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
MMmmm!

<chuckle> We gotta get a name on that guy -- some how "Flounder Hunter" doesn't ring right... (ever see "Grumpy Old Men"?)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MMmmm!

<chuckle> We gotta get a name on that guy -- some how "Flounder Hunter" doesn't ring right... (ever see "Grumpy Old Men"?)

You mean Kurt?

Well hunter is fine, catcher is another story.......:eek::D

That said and done, I thought both of you did great despite very little past experience. Now if you could ever get up with a "reel" angler like Forrest (or better yet, his wife)....... you might actually catch some fish.....

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nah, I was referring to the movie "Grumpy Old Men"... or maybe it was the sequel -- throughout the film, they were trying to catch a giant catfish they'd named "Catfish Hunter". Gotta come up with a name for that fish... so we know who we're chasing next time....

:)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah, I was referring to the movie "Grumpy Old Men"... or maybe it was the sequel -- throughout the film, they were trying to catch a giant catfish they'd named "Catfish Hunter". Gotta come up with a name for that fish... so we know who we're chasing next time....

:)

Ok - got ya. I didn't see the movie but now that you explained it, I understand. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.