NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got me an eight pointer here in Cary today -- on the right, in the picture below.

The one on the left was well over 36" long - quite a catch on six-pound line. :D

While I was out, a flight of three Apaches stopped by... The air cover was very effective -- no sign at all of enemy armored vehicles..

On my first cast, I tossed out a Brush Hawg on a carolina rig, and let 'im soak, on the principle of moving VERY SLOW in cold water. I figured I'd cast a few times on the light rod, then move the plastic, then go back to casting...

So after I got that one soaking, I tossed out a white Mepps Thunder Bug -- an inline spinner with a rooster tail. Right off the bat, it starts pulling back. When I got it in, this feller was hooked to it...

I forgot my tape -- I'm guessing he was 13" long or so. My best bass in this lake, however long it was...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice rack!..LOL

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
lookie at that rack:rolleyes:... why is it you are using a toothy critter lip gripper on a harmless lil bass?? they don't bite -much- just leave you with a roughed up thumb..

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why is it you are using a toothy critter lip gripper on a harmless lil bass??/quote]

'Cuz my wrist doesn't swivel in the right directions. When I try to take that shot without the gripper, my wrist turns his belly toward the camera, and I wanted to see the colorful side.

And when I'm holding the camera myself, the trick about holding the fish at arms length so it looks bigger, doesn't work too well. ;)

I did hold him with my bare hand while I removed the hook. And I made my son touch the velcro teeth when I caught one at Jordan back in September.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! Glad to see you come with your own air cover. Was that part of your fleet that flew over us at Fort Fisher?
<chuckle> I stole that line from JeffO - and ever since, it seems to have been relevant on pretty much every outing. The Nat'l Guard keeps some Apaches at RDU -- or at least they used to -- so I'm pretty sure this was a different unit than the Chinook that covered us at Ft. Fisher.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice Bass Lefty Or Eight Pointer What Ever It Is Tonite........................chris
One of each -- the bass was the runt of tonight's catch. The thirty-some-inch stick was the biggest catch, but did not have near the rack that the eight-point stick had.

Not sure how much I like being back in the stick-catching game, but I figured I'd make the best of it.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
If only we had some NCangler.com stocking caps - you could go to a seasonal avatar rotation... Glad you're finding a way to keep the neighborhood fish exercised.

- - - -

(Thinking out loud...) If the weather and schedules don't get favorable for kayaks, I wonder if we could get enough interest in a little shoreline photo&release bragging rights tourney next week - somewhere central like the big lake at Umstead & see how many triangle folks can show up?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(Thinking out loud...) If the weather and schedules don't get favorable for kayaks, I wonder if we could get enough interest in a little shoreline photo&release bragging rights tourney next week - somewhere central like the big lake at Umstead & see how many triangle folks can show up?
Wow, great idea!

I was about to say "I'm in", but I just glanced at the wall calendar and realized that my wife arranged a midweek getaway; I'm unavailable Wednesday through Friday. And Tuesday, now that I think about it. And Monday after around 2:00 or so...

I do very much like what I've heard about Umstead's Big Lake, and like very much the idea of a nearly-impromptu meet-and-greet event... Especially one that's so bring-the-kids-friendly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
now lefty i have to amitt mines still bigger:D

not to mention i caught it in the presents of an ncangler.com member-uconn-

when taking the picture of fish i always turn them backwards to get a decent picture -if possable-

notice this three pounder

it is impossable to tell where i caught the fish or just how big he is.. i do this for a reason.. i post hundreds of pictures on-line every year from local lakes i don't like sharing where i catch my fish from..

same lake differant fish same bait..

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, zook, one of the shots I'm looking for is one that's framed much like the one on my profile pic here on the site -- one with my smilin' mug along with a big 'ol lunker -- so I can finally reply to the guy who "complimented" me on my "cute fish". :mad:

Although fishing sites might appreciate pictures of disembodied thumbs holding open a gaping maw, I'm not sure those would be the best ones to share with my family.

Perhaps I'll spend a little more time thinking about why I'm taking each picture... am I photo-journaling the outing, or am I trying to document a catch, or am I looking for a portrait to share.... Any photographer worth his salt (saltwater?) would certainly approach each purpose very differently...

PS -- and if anybody's analyzing my photos trying to find my 'secret spot' on Bond Lake, off High House Road, at the point on the south end of the lake, where a side trail veers off to the edge of the water, by the post where the fish feeder used to be... where so many people come to take their dogs for a swim... and leave their trash... Go right ahead, there are plenty of sticks there for everybody to catch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That sounds like fun.
Unfortunely I'm out of state the 1st half of the week and working the 2nd half.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Nice eight pointer lefty. Hope you kept the meat.

Is it me or does that bass have a hunch back?

I know the spot at Bond you're talking about, I'm gonna have to try my canoe in their this spring. There should still be some more biguns in there.

In the meantime, I think I'm hitting Jordan this weekend for some crappie fishing and probably toss an occasional crank bait with the bro. We've done fairly well the past few weekends on minnows.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turtle - I saw a real nice crappie landed at the dock at Bells Church this afternoon. I spent the afternoon walking the exposed bank at Weaver Creek, but wasn't able to land anything. I take that back, I did land an eight-inch stump.

Meanwhile, the loch-ness-tackle-monster gobbled up two rat-l-traps, a plastic worm, and a spinner. And a homebrew lureknocker that failed to do its job. :mad: If I hurry and take the kayak back, I might be able to reclaim one of the rat-l-traps.

And in case anyone's curious, yes, you CAN walk all the way up to the stump field at Weaver Creek. And beyond.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice eight pointer lefty. Hope you kept the meat.
Once it's cured and seasoned, I plan to use it to warm up a slice of summer sausage. Summer sausage always seems to come up in the conversation after folks bag one of these.... Seems to be the thing to do....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.