NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow NC anglers!

I am new to the site and a relatively inexperienced fisherman in general but I do enjoy it and would like to improve my skills! I have already learned a lot reading through the forum here over the past couple weeks, this place is a great resource.

I am in my mid-20s and have taken up fishing over the past 2 years after not really fishing since childhood. I mostly fish from shore around the Durham, NC area for bass, carp and catfish.

Basically I am here to become a better fisherman! I am always looking for new spots and love learning from experienced anglers.
I look forward to interacting with everyone on the forum and upping my fishing game!

Greetings,
Layne

·
Registered
112 Posts
Man... Sounds familiar... Sounds like something I posted 2 months ago. These guys are great on here. Always willing to help you out without hesitation. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Layne

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello Layne,
May be able to help a bit with the local carp.
Falls holds plenty and you should be able to catch from any bank area that accesses reasonable depth of water. Expect average size 6-10 with a few up to 15 or so.

Crabtree is another good venue, fishing from the piers. Lots of carp with a number over the 20 lb mark
Sweetcorn/plastic corn and packbait works great with these.

Let me know if I can help further with you on these
Tim

Hello fellow NC anglers!

I am new to the site and a relatively inexperienced fisherman in general but I do enjoy it and would like to improve my skills! I have already learned a lot reading through the forum here over the past couple weeks, this place is a great resource.

I am in my mid-20s and have taken up fishing over the past 2 years after not really fishing since childhood. I mostly fish from shore around the Durham, NC area for bass, carp and catfish.

Basically I am here to become a better fisherman! I am always looking for new spots and love learning from experienced anglers.
I look forward to interacting with everyone on the forum and upping my fishing game!

Greetings,
Layne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info, thanks Tim!

Most of my carp fishing has been done at Jordan, although I have never caught one there. I've got a buddy I usually carp fish with, when he goes alone he will catch a handful - every time we go together we get nothing! He says I must have been an enemy to the carp in a past life . . .

I have been to Crabtree once before - was fishing for bass that day and didn't have any luck. I have heard there are some good sized carp in there like you say, I will surely have to carp fish there sometime soon. One question I have - how do you get a 20-lb carp over the side of the pier at Crabtree? Maybe the water was down when I was there but it seemed a bit far to reach with a net and I have heard carp have weak mouths so I would hate to rip the hook out after getting it so close and losing/injuring the fish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jordan, as your buddy will have told you it is stuffed with (small, stunted) carp.
there are bigger ones but it's a needle in a haystack to locate them, according to all I've spoken with who still fish there.

Crabtree and netting fish from the pier.
we use landing nets with 6ft handles or walk the fish along the pier to the bank.
You obviously care for their welfare so will want some kind of mat to protect them from injury when on the dock.
(you can get a cheap mat from www.resistance-tackle.com by the way.)

good luck!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect Tim, thanks again! After I posted I was thinking maybe I should just get a long net, but walking them from the pier to the bank is a good idea also. I will probably try that my next time out there (if I am lucky enough to land one!) and if I have any problems will look into a long net.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.