NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I break into your house

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest
(except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hardworking and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hardworking and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America....if you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see the value of it as a good simile. If not blow it off along with your future Social Security funds.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The thing that irritates me is that some of the protesters insist on calling those of us that want our immigration laws enforced, "anti-immigration" or even worse prejudice. That is just plain wrong. Most of us are simply against illegal entry and presence in this country, not against immigration of Latinos or any other race or nationality. We are a nation of emigrants. We need emigrants. We always have. But we want them here legally, abiding by our laws and contributing to our society.

When we need outside laborers, fine let's have a program to allow workers into the country for that purposes. And let's make it fair - let's allow folks of all nationalities the opportunity - not just those that take advantage of our loose border and those that dare to break the law. I know there are plenty of law abiding folks from countries in east Europe, Africa and South American countries that would love to have the opportunity to come here and work.

Ok - done ranting (for now).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Agreed Topsail. Not all immigrates are South American. Why cater to them? Put a system in effect and enforce it. Those who come with good intentions and follow the right channels are not the target here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing that irritates me is that some of the protesters insist on calling those of us that want our immigration laws enforced, "anti-immigration" or even worse prejudice. That is just plain wrong. Most of us are simply against illegal entry and presence in this country, not against immigration of Latinos or any other race or nationality. We are a nation of emigrants. We need emigrants. We always have. But we want them here legally, abiding by our laws and contributing to our society.

When we need outside laborers, fine let's have a program to allow workers into the country for that purposes. And let's make it fair - let's allow folks of all nationalities the opportunity - not just those that take advantage of our loose border and those that dare to break the law. I know there are plenty of law abiding folks from countries in east Europe, Africa and South American countries that would love to have the opportunity to come here and work.

Ok - done ranting (for now).
Hey Mike, I tell you what irratates me, The awsome trout fishing you enjoyed on the nantahala a couple of weeks ago was destroyed by four illegal latinos last weekend, They cleaned all the trout out of the first mile or so of the DH section of the river. They showed no fear of our law, but then why should they, our government will not enforce them anyway!! They used corn and took atleast 100 fish from the catch and release section, but they were thoughtful enough to clean them and throw the heads and gut back into the stream.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The money Bush wants to spend in Iraq, would build a concrete wall 12 ft tall and 2 ft thick along the entire mexican border, and the canadian border, and paint both sides of it. But I guess that would be using tax dollars wisely, I think thats against the rules.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sorry to hear that Daniel. Saddens me anytime that happens, regardless of if it's your legally resident neighbor (we know which one) who steals from your creek or illegals that steal from our national resource.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We have similar stories to tell here. Not only trout, but trespassing to get tree bark to sell. Stripping trees as high as they or their ladder will reach. Signs of this clearly evident. And yes in the end killing the trees. Patrols are needed not only on our borders but in our National Park and Forest Service areas.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have similar stories to tell here. Not only trout, but trespassing to get tree bark to sell. Stripping trees as high as they or their ladder will reach. Signs of this clearly evident. And yes in the end killing the trees. Patrols are needed not only on our borders but in our National Park and Forest Service areas.
Crummy, I have not heard of stripping tree bark. I know they strip electrical wiring from houses under construction, what kind of trees are they stripping?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Los individuos, usted tiene todo hizo un buen punto. Es triste que nuestro gobierno es la manera que es. El problema de la inmigración comenzó hace muchas décadas. Es un poco atrasado a intentar ahora pararlo. Ahora es todo el una agenda política.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Los individuos, usted tiene todo hizo un buen punto. Es triste que nuestro gobierno es la manera que es. El problema de la inmigración comenzó hace muchas décadas. Es un poco atrasado a intentar ahora pararlo. Ahora es todo el una agenda política.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I press 1 for english please!!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Roughly translated:

Each of you have made a good point. It is sad that our government is the way that it is. The problem of immigration began many decades ago. Is a little backward to try to stop it now. Now it is all a political agenda.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
:D Pêcheur à la ligne très bon de Topsail. Avez non seulement vous un ans la crainte de poissons, vous êtes également très astucieux avec des mots. Bonne chance essayant au decifer celui-ci.

Я буду человеком много языков. Я надеюсь я не обидело любое
:) Everyone made good points one this subject.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The French I'm having a bit of trouble with, but I guess we Americans often have trouble with the French :rolleyes: - something about: " Fisherman ..? good lines ? ...Topsail. Not only ???? years ?? the fear fish, you are equally very clever with words. Good luck trying to decifer this one."

The Russian:
"I am a person of many languages. I hope I have not offended anyone."

Whew...... back to school for me........

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Crummy, I have not heard of stripping tree bark. I know they strip electrical wiring from houses under construction, what kind of trees are they stripping?
Alot of maple and hardwoods. Here there is a trend of using the bark as wood shake siding.(especially in the Blowing Rock and Boone area) It is expensive to buy. Here we have alot of transit labor in shrubbery fields so they are knowledgable of trees.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I just don't want to lose our focus on fishing here. Words are a very powerful thing, in fact the Bible says our words are "life and they are death." You're right Crummy, we don't all think alike and we sure don't have all the answers. Any posts that I think might be offensive to another person or might cause quarrels will be edited. Don't get me wrong I am not a "politically correct" type person, and I hold very strong convictions about faith, my country, the institution of the family, etc. But I try to communicate them in the appropriate time and place in a way that doesn't demean or put down another person, religion, culture or race. I'm not perfect and I want to be a peacemaker in my lifetime.

Having said that, I'll share my 'opinions' on this issue and some others. I share Daniel's outrage at what happened in the stream in his part of the state. I hope that WRC folk will investigate and prosecute anyone involved to the greatest extent of the law. They need to send a message that this will not be tolerated no matter who the perpetrator is. I also hope that government officials in that part of the state will enforce immigration laws aimed at both the illegal immigrant and the illegal employer. If illegal employment is stopped there won't be jobs for illegal immigrants to find. And if an employer cannot compete in the manufacture of their product or service using legal citizen employees and paying the appropriate taxes associated with their enterprise, then they are in the wrong business and its time to either make a better product that folks are willing to pay more for or do something else. It is really that simple to me.

I also think we need to come up with a way to eliminate the illegal payment for services that takes place in many industries to avoid withholding taxes. It is unfair for a painter, roofer, or whatever, to be paid their wages in cash and thereby avoiding their share of the tax burden that the rest of us bear. Undeclared income is a huge problem. Now I don't like paying taxes any more than anyone else (particularly property tax - a tax on something I've already paid sales tax on and own!) and I am usually not a proponent of tax increases, because of the incredible waste that I see throughout the local, state and federal government. Sometimes I feel like we're back in Boston in the 1700's experiencing 'taxation without representation', because the politicians only seem interested in spending more and getting more for their districts. Fiscal responsibility and a sense that the treasury belongs to 'the people' seem to be long forgotten ideals. It would be refreshing to see someone take the mantle of streamlining government, making it more efficient and less expensive. Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear a candidate for the Senate, House or President talk about a plan to reign in government spending and actually provide a plan for doing so that spells out the pain accross the board that will be experienced in implementing such a plan. Politicians don't want to talk about 'tough decisions' they just want to provide soundbites that win votes. I think the Bible calls that 'tickling the ears'. Unfortnately like the immigration issue our fiscal problems started long ago and we're way down the road now so it will be a bear to ever fix.

Okay, I'm done. :D
Not all minds think alike and I enjoy discussion which is a great learning tool. Anything deemed offensive shall certainly be edited or deleted by mods or admins. Thanks NCangler for the opportunity to share and learn.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have strong thoughts about this, but here's my .02.

I'm not worried as much about Illegal immigrants "right now" as I am radical Islam.

To put an end to the "illegal" immigrant thing... they need to crack down on the people that employ them! Yup, I said it. Our farmers, housing contractors, factories.... they're the ones driving the reason. BUSINESS. Sorry folks, from what I see, America is going to **** in a hand basket (pardon my french...). Bottom line is Business owners can pay half pay or less and get the work out of 2-3 people (illegal immigrants) than they could from hiring one born in the USA person. That is sad. It's not politics as much as it's money. It's all about who can get the fattest wallets and dont care who how to do it.

Radical Islam folks.... is extremely serious and dont know how much ya'all know or even pay attention to it... but not only my boys, but their kids will be at war fighting this ideology that is firmly set and determined to "wipe" us off the face of the earth. WE need to do whatever we can to put an end to it some way, somehow. They kill women, children, civilian, military... it doesnt matter to obtain the goal of Islam run state all in the name of Allah... Dont know 'bout y'all... but I'll fight against that till the end of my life.

Yeah, Illegal is illegal no matter how ya look at it. It's beyond me how folks twist it or even think there should be benifit somehow with it.... Truely baffles me...
But I'm here to tell you, radical Islam is much more of a threat right now to all of us.

Sickens me to even think of anywhere in the US to look or live like repressed folks under the threat of terror like in Afghanistan or Iraq. If we (sleeping giant) dont wake up and put a boot in the *** of these pacifist.... then that's where it's going.

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.